Indian raitas are very cooling sides made with chilled yogurt/Indian curd to which vegetables and other accompaniments are added along with spices.
They are a regular fixture in most Indian homes. They make for excellent sides with dishes like parathas and pulaos or biryanis.
They are also a wonderful part of normal Indian thali or meal. This yogurt raita is super cooling, simple and delicious and is ready in 5 minutes.
Growing up, cucumber raita was my favourite of all the Indian raita recipes, even more than boondi raita.
I guess it was because I loved its fresh flavours. In cucumber raita spices used are few and mild and give it a subtle flavour.
Here is the super simple recipe. If you’ve never had it, I do suggest that you make it and relish with your family.
1 cup thick yogurt or Indian curd
½ cup water (optional)
½ tsp. pink or black salt
1 tsp. roasted cumin powder
Salt to taste
1 tbsp. chopped cilantro and mint leaves
Take 1 cup yoghurt or Indian curd in a bowl and whisk it till creamy.
Add grated cucumber, black salt and roasted cumin powder to it.
Garnish with chopped cilantro and mint leaves and serve chilled.
- Use chilled yogurt for a better tasting raita
- You can use chopped green chilli or cayenne for a spicier version.
- Add some water to the raita in case you like your raita runnier
- If you plan to serve it later then do not add both the salts to the raita. Add it just before serving. This is because raita will become runny otherwise.
- Make it and refrigerate in advance.
Cucumber Yogurt Raita Recipe
- 1 cup yogurt or Greek yogurt
- ½ cup water optional
- ½ tsp. pink or black salt
- 1 tsp. roasted cumin powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp chopped cilantro and mint leaves
2. You can use chopped green chilli or cayenne for a spicier version.
3. Add some water to the raita in case you like your raita runnier
4. If you plan to serve it later then do not add both the salts to the raita. Add it just before serving. This is because raita will become runny otherwise.
5. Make it and refrigerate in advance.
This is a super simple 5-minute recipe to make a cooling and tasty cucumber raita.
If you liked the recipe, I request you to give it a * rating either on the recipe card or in the comments.
You May Also Like: Boondi Raita Recipe