This Indian Cucumber Salad is a super simple recipe that is a perfect cooling side. It is also called cucumber raita.
Indian raitas are made with chilled yogurt/Indian curd to which vegetables and other accompaniments are added along with some spices.
It is really delicious as a salad on its own too or as an accompaniment to a meal.
They are a regular fixture in most Indian homes. They make for excellent sides with dishes like parathas and pulaos or biryanis.
They are also a wonderful part of normal Indian thali or meal. This yogurt raita is super cooling, simple and delicious and is ready in 5 minutes.
Growing up, cucumber raita was my favourite of all the Indian raita recipes, even more than boondi raita.
I guess it was because I loved its fresh flavours. In cucumber raita spices used are few and mild and give it a subtle flavour.
Here is the super simple recipe. If you’ve never had it, I do suggest that you make it and relish with your family.
1 cup thick yogurt or Indian curd
½ cup water (optional)
½ tsp. pink or black salt
1 tsp. roasted cumin powder
Salt to taste
1 tbsp. chopped cilantro and mint leaves
Take 1 cup Greek yogurt or Indian curd in a bowl and whisk it till creamy.
Add grated cucumber, black salt and roasted cumin powder to it.
If you like you can also use cucumber cut into small pieces instead of grated. You can also add finely chopped red onion to add some zing.
Garnish with chopped cilantro and mint leaves and serve chilled.
- Use chilled Greek yogurt for a better tasting raita
- You can use chopped green chilli or jalapeno for a spicier version.
- You can use chopped cucumber instead of grated cucumber in the recipe.
- Add some water to the raita in case you like your raita runnier
- If you plan to serve it later then do not add salt to the raita. Add it just before serving. This is because raita will become runny otherwise.
- Make it and refrigerate in advance.
Here's the recipe card:
📖 Recipe Card
Indian Cucumber Salad | Cucumber Yogurt Raita Recipe
- 1 cup Greek yogurt or Indian curd
- ½ cup water optional
- ½ tsp. Himalayan pink salt
- 1 tsp. roasted cumin powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro and mint leaves
2. You can use chopped green chilli or jalapeno for a spicy kick. 3. You can add chopped cucumber instead of grated cucumber in the recipe. You can also add some chopped red onion for a zing. 4. Add some water to the raita in case you like your raita runnier
5. If you plan to serve it later then do not add salt to the raita. Add it just before serving. This is because raita will become runny otherwise.
6. Make it and refrigerate in advance.
This is a super simple 5-minute recipe to make a cooling and tasty cucumber raita.
If you liked the recipe, I request you to give it a * rating either on the recipe card or in the comments.