Air fryer chickpeas is a crunchy, healthy snack that is gluten-free, vegan and high protein.
It is really quick and easy to make in the Air fryer with barely any oil. A perfect any time snack without guilt.
I love crispy lentils, chickpeas, gram lentils (chana dal), green moong beans (sabut moong dal), dried peas (sabut matar) and so on.
They are crunchy, flavourful, filling, satisfying and healthy. Almost like a perfect snack. You can vary the seasonings as per your like.
The only thing that held me back was deep frying them.
With air fryer, I can quickly do batches and store them in airtight containers for a ready snack.
These are fastest to make with canned chickpeas that take about 15 minutes only for this perfect crunchy snack.
If not, a little bit of planning by soaking dry chickpeas overnight and then parboiling them takes slightly longer but does the job equally well.
What should I do if I don’t have canned chickpeas?
Soak dry chickpeas overnight and then parboil them with a little salt.
I give them 4 whistles in the pressure cooker. Drain and use.
No need for drying them. This takes slightly longer but does the job equally well. You can use Instant Pot too.
Make sure the chickpeas are not mushy but ¾th cooked.
How to Store these?
Store them in an air-tight container and they will last for a week easily.
Though, my batches get over in a couple of days tops. 🙂
Which Oil Must I Use?
I like to use extra virgin olive oil for a nutty taste. You can use vegetable oil too.
Which seasonings Can I use?
1. Lemon chilli seasoning: Mix together 1 tsp. chilli powder or cayenne, ¼ tsp. lemon crystals and 1 tsp. salt.
2. Salt and pepper: Mix together 1 tsp. each of salt and pepper.
3. Barbecue seasoning: Buy premixed seasoning mix.
4. Peri peri seasoning: Use pre-bought peri peri spice mix.
Here is the recipe:
Air fryer chickpeas
- 15 oz. chickpeas or garbanzo beans can or use dry chickpeas see Notes
- 1 tsp. extra virgin olive oil or vegetable oil
Seasoning - Lemon chilli
- 1 tsp. chilli powder or cayenne
- ¼ tsp. lemon crystals
- Drain canned chickpeas and keep aside. If using dry chickpeas, see notes.
- Preheat Air fryer to 200 C or 390 F for 5 minutes.
- Spread the drained chickpeas. No need to dry them in the air fryer basket and air fry for 6 minutes. This helps in drying them out well.
- Now brush 1 tsp. oil on the chickpeas so they are coated well and put them back in the air fryer basket for 8 minutes. Keep shaking the basket once in the middle.
- Meanwhile, prepare the seasoning. For lemon chilli seasoning, I used 1 tsp. cayenne, ¼ tsp. lemon crystals and 1 tsp. salt. See Notes for more seasoning ideas.
- Now add half the prepared seasoning and spread on the air fried chickpeas.
- Air fry again for 1-2 minutes till done. Your Air fryer chickpeas are ready. They are super crispy snack.
2. You can try different flavour combinations to mix things up a bit. I love the basic salt and pepper, chilli and lime, barbecue seasoning, Italian seasoning and peri peri seasoning. All work well.
3. I find that adding the seasoning right towards the end of the air frying time works better than adding the seasoning from the start. The spices don’t burn and taste best. I use half the seasoning just before the end and the remaining after they are done.
4. Your air fryer works like a fantastic dehydrator and hence I have never needed to dry the lentils or chickpeas before putting them in Air frying. Just a simple draining works well. The same works for other lentils I mentioned.
5. Canned chickpeas are the fastest and most fuss-free way to make these. Use a 15 oz. can.
6. You can store them for a week in an airtight container.
7. I prefer extra virgin olive oil but any vegetable oil works.
8. You can use the same recipe to make air fryer lentils like chana dal (split gram), moong dal (split moong lentils without skin, sabut moong (whole moong beans), sabut matar (dry peas) etc. In their case, you can just soak them overnight, drain and follow the air frying instructions. No need to precook except dry white peas which are similar to chickpeas. Also the air frying time is between 6-10 minutes for them as they are smaller in size. Try these and you have a variety of munchies at hand.
Drain canned or parboiled chickpeas and keep aside. No need to dry them.
Preheat Air fryer at 200 C or 390 F for 5 minutes.
Spread the chickpeas and air fry for 6 minutes.
Chickpeas will be dried by now.
Brush with 1 tsp. oil and Air fry at 200 C or 390 F for 8 minutes to crisp them up. Take out the basket and shake it midway.
Now add half the spice mix to the chickpeas and Air fry again at 390 F for 2 minutes.
Crispy crunchy air fryer chickpeas are ready to eat. Have this healthy snack whenever hunger strikes.
If you liked the recipe, I request you to leave a star * rating. Thanks.