This Mediterranean cucumber tomato salad is very flavourful and so summery.
It is crunchy and flavorful and is a lovely side or a light meal.
Cucumber is among my favourite vegetables. It is super fresh and so very light, the perfect salad vegetable.
While I love making cucumber salad recipes right through summer, I use cucumber even in winter for that summer nostalgia.
Cucumber can be easily paired with onion, tomato, avocado and peppers. You just need a light dressing to make the salad come alive.
It is also a super easy salad to make that needs no cooking. There is no reason not to make it daily.
Health Benefits of Cucumber
Cucumber is a vegetable with some really good health benefits:
1. High in Nutrients: Cucumber is high in vitamins and minerals like Potassium, Magnesium, Vitamin K, Vitamin C and Manganese.
2. Perfect for weight management: Cucumber is 95% water and hence it is a perfect vegetable as it keeps you hydrated naturally.
It is also very low calorie at just 45 Calories for an 11-ounce or 300 gm. cucumber.
It fills you up nicely while being low calorie hence it is a weight-watcher's delight.
3. Great for Hydration: Cucumber having such a high water content is great for people who find it difficult to drink adequate water during the day.
It hydrates your body really well especially in summer.
4. High in antioxidants: Cucumber like many other fresh vegetables is high in antioxidants and reduces free radicals in the body.
Cucumber: 2 large Persian or English cucumbers are used here.
Tomatoes: I have used 3 Roma tomatoes. You can use cherry tomatoes as well.
Red onion: Finely sliced half red onion is used in this recipe.
Extra virgin olive oil: 2 tbsp. of extra virgin olive oil give this salad a lovely taste.
Red wine vinegar: Vinegar gives it a lovely acidity.
Salt and Pepper: Perfect for seasoning.
Pitted olives: Since this is a Mediterranean salad, I love using olives here for their burst of flavor.
Feta cheese: Crumbled feta cheese tastes really wonderful here. You can use the vegan version.
What Goes Into the Salad Dressing
I make the salad dressing for this cucumber and tomato salad in two ways:
1. Oil and vinegar dressing: This is my favourite dressing for many salads. I
use extra virgin olive oil and red wine or apple cider vinegar.
Add a few spices. Mix well and pour over the cucumber salad. Easy peasy.
2. Lime juice dressing: This is even simpler but really delicious.
I use 2 tbsp. of lemon juice and add salt, sugar and spices to it.
Pour it over the salad and you are good to go.
Take 2 cucumbers and dice them into cubes.
I left the peel on as it these were Persian cucumbers.
Take off the peel if it is tough.
Slice half red onion and keep aside.
Similarly dice the tomatoes into cubes.
In a large bowl, mix together cucumber cubes, tomato cubes and onion slices.
Add salt and pepper and mix well.
Add extra virgin olive oil and red wine vinegar.
Mix well. Add pitted olives.
If adding feta cheese, crumble and add. Also add 1 tbsp. of chopped cilantro or parsley.
Chill in the fridge and serve. Your delicious Mediterranean cucumber tomato salad is ready to serve.
Expert Tips to Making the Best Cucumber Salad
1. Buy the freshest green cucumber. You may leave the peel on, in case you have the tender Persian cucumber at hand.
For the larger cucumber, I take off the peels. Also leave the seeds in if they are tender.
2. Use ripe tomatoes only: Ripe tomatoes are sweet and flavourful.
Make sure you use the red, ripe ones only.
You can use cherry tomatoes as well.
3. If using avocados, choose just ripe, creamy ones that are free from blemishes.
4. Use red onions: I love them for their punchy taste and crisp flavours.
5. Marinate: While you can serve this salad right away, it does taste best when marinated for a few hours in the fridge.
That way the salad gets more flavourful.
6. To have this salad as a meal, you can just add a protein like boiled chickpeas or shredded chicken and pair with some bread if you wish.
You May Also Like:
Here's the recipe card:
📖 Recipe Card
Mediterranean Cucumber Tomato Salad Recipe
- 2 cucumber large
- 3 tomatoes ripe
- 1 avocado optional
- ½ red onion
- ½ cup pitted olives
- 1 tbsp. cilantro or parsley
For the dressing
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. sugar optional
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 2 tbsp. feta cheese vegan optional
- Take 2 cucumbers and dice them into cubes.
- I left the peel on as it these were Persian cucumbers.
- Take off the peel if it is tough.
- Similarly dice the tomatoes into cubes.
- Slice half red onion and keep aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together cucumber cubes, tomato cubes and onion slices.
- Add salt and pepper and mix well.
- Add extra virgin olive oil and red wine vinegar.
- Mix well. Add pitted olives.
- If adding feta cheese, crumble and add.
- Chill in the fridge and serve. Your delicious Mediterranean cucumber tomato salad is ready to serve.
Your healthy cucumber tomato salad is ready to serve.
Have it as a hearty side or as a meal. It is delicious.
If you liked this recipe, I request you to leave a * rating either on the recipe card or in the comments below. Thanks.
You May Also Like: