I love mushroom. Its delicious, earthy flavour goes so well whether it is a simple mushroom stir fry, an Indo-Chinese curry, a soup, a mushroom omlette or a Thai curry. Oyster mushroom have a lovely meaty texture and really soak up flavours if you add them in curry. This air fried mushrooms recipe is a really delicious starter. When made these are super crunchy on the outside and melt-in-the mouth on the inside.
I promise you that this is one recipe you will make over and over again. If you are vegetarian or vegan, this is your perfect substitute for meat for its amazing texture and taste.
How to Make Mushrooms in Air fryer
You need mushroom, (oyster, shiitake or portobello work well) spices and buttermilk along with rice flour and processed flour.
Spices: Basic spices like cayenne, salt and pepper along with dried herbs like parsley, basil, oregano work well. You can use any spices you have. Even basic salt and pepper taste good in the recipe.
Vegan buttermilk: In case you are vegan, you can use plant-based buttermilk. Or you can make your own. Just use 1 cup of plant-based milk like soy milk or almond milk. You can try making your own almond milk like this. Add 1 tbsp. of lemon juice and keep it aside for 10 minutes. You can use the slightly curdled milk as the vegan buttermilk.
Meaty mushroom: I love oyster mushroom, shiitake or portobello in this recipe as they are super meaty. Find them in your supermarket.
All-purpose flour: You could use breadcrumbs and cornflakes mix in its place. You can even try almond flour.
Here’s my easy recipe to Air fryer mushroom:
Air fryer Mushrooms | Vegan Oyster Mushroom Air fried
- 200 gm. mushroom about 10-12 mushroom use Oyster, shiitake or Portobello
- ¾ cup buttermilk or vegan buttermilk (recipe shared in the notes)
- 1 tsp. cayenne or paprika or red chilli powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. mixed herbs dried parsley, oregano, basil, thyme
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- ½ tsp. garam masala optional
- 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp. rice flour
- 1 tsp. oil
- Clean mushroom and dry them well. Now prepare a slurry of buttermilk or vegan buttermilk with rice flour and ½ tsp. salt. Marinate mushroom in the slurry for about 30 minutes.
- Now take all the spices and add to all-purpose flour and keep it ready.
- Pre-heat Airfryer at 180 C or 350 F for 8 minutes.
- After marination, take out each marinated mushroom and immerse it in the seasoned flour mix till well coated. Lightly brush with oil. Do this to all the mushroom and keep aside.
- Brush the air fryer basket and arrange the mushroom in one row. Air fry for 15 minutes at 180 C or 350 F. Turn once in the middle. Now turn up the temperature to 200 C or 390 F and Air fry for 4 minutes for a golden colour.
- Take it out and serve out. Your crispy Air fryer mushrooms are ready to serve. Have with dipping sauce, mayo or even ketchup. It’s super delicious.
- Serve them hot.
If you liked the recipe, I request you to leave a star * rating. Thanks.
Clean and keep the oyster mushroom aside.
Marinate oyster mushroom in a buttermilk, rice flour and salt slurry.
Mix spices in the all-purpose flour and keep aside.
Pre-heat Airfryer at 180 C or 350 F for 8 minutes.
After marination, take out each marinated mushroom and immerse it in the seasoned flour mix till well coated. Lightly brush with oil. Do this to all the mushroom and keep aside.
Brush the air fryer basket and arrange the mushroom in one row. Air fry for 15 minutes at 180 C or 350 F. Turn once in the middle. Now turn up the temperature to 200 C or 390 F and Air fry for 4 minutes for a golden colour.
Take it out and serve out.
Your crispy Air fried mushrooms are ready to serve.
You May also like: