Spaghetti aglio olio is one the simplest most satisfying pasta dishes that one can have. It is ready in no time and needs barely any ingredients.
I remember having it for the first time in one of the tiny places that serve pasta. My version had a very simple olive oil sauce and had artichoke hearts.
It was so delicious, each ingredient singing in this dish. I do enjoy adding some butter and cheese to mine for even more flavour.
You may also like:
What is Spaghetti Aglio e Olio?
This simple spaghetti recipe is made by tossing spaghetti with olive oil which is flavoured by garlic and sometimes chilli flakes. That’s it.
This dish is believed to have originated in Naples, Italy, the same place that is famous for its Margherita pizza.
Just writing about these makes my mouth water remembering those delicious Italian dishes that I had back in Italy.
So anyway, this spaghetti aglio olio not only sounds fancy but is perfect for date night if you are trying to impress a special someone or for a family or friends’ gathering.
It is simple to make for the newest of cooks and does taste delightful.
Here’s my Spaghetti Aglio e olio Recipe:
Time taken: 30 minutes
2 cups spaghetti ( 1 pound or 500. gm)
salt to taste
2-3 tbsp. olive oil
9-10 cloves garlic crushed
1-2 tbsp. chilli flakes
1 tbsp. dried parsley (or 3 tbsp. fresh)
1 tbsp. butter (optional)
½ cup grated parmesan cheese
1 cup sliced mushroom sautéed in olive oil with salt and pepper
Heat 5 cups of water. Add1 tbsp. salt to it. Bring to a boil.
Then cook spaghetti as per pack instruction till ad dente (having just a bite).
Drain and keep aside.
To make spaghetti alio olio sauce
Heat 2-3 tbsp. olive oil in a pan.
Add chopped garlic and lightly fry for 30 seconds. Add chilli flakes.
Add the boiled spaghetti along with dried parsley (or finely chopped fresh parsley).
Mix well. Turn off the heat.
Now add butter (optional) and grated parmesan. Mix well and serve hot.
I have also added sautéed mushroom in olive oil as garnish.
Your spectacular spaghetti dish is ready to serve.
1. Always salt the water in which you cook pasta else your pasta will be bland.
2. Cook spaghetti not till it is mushy or it will have a very bad texture.
3. You can use fresh parsley instead of dried parsley in which case you can finely chop and sprinkle 1 tsp. while serving.
4. Add or reduce chilli flakes as per your liking.
5. Butter is not traditionally used and you can skip it if you so wish.
📖 Recipe Card
Spaghetti aglio e olio Recipe
- 1 pound spaghetti
- salt to taste
- 2-3 tbsp. olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 tsp. chilli flakes
- 1 tsp. dried parsley
- 1 tbsp. butter optional
- ½ cup parmesan cheese grated
- 1 cup sliced mushroom sautéed in olive oil with salt and pepper
- Heat 5 cups of water. Add 2 tbsp. salt to it. Bring to a boil. Then cook spaghetti as per pack instruction till ad dente (having just a bite).
- Drain and keep aside.
- To make the sauce
- Heat 2-3 tbsp. olive oil in a pan. Add chopped garlic and lightly fry for 30 seconds.
- Add chilli flakes and add spaghetti. Mix well. Turn off the heat. Add dried parsley.
- Now add butter (optional) and grated parmesan. Mix well and serve hot.
- I have also added sautéed mushroom in olive oil.
- Your spectacular spaghetti dish is ready to serve.
Serve hot spaghetti aglio olio ready in under 30 minutes and liven up your dinner or date night.
You may also try this Tuna Pesto Pasta.
I hope you liked this spaghetti recipe and will make it at home. Please do give a * star rating to the recipe either on the recipe card or when you comment.