Easy and delicious, this is a creamy pumpkin pasta sauce which is healthy and so satisfying with warm fall flavours.
This pumpkin pasta is a recent recipe that I tried and it is surprisingly good.
It is so creamy without having any actual cream in it and my kids just loved its smooth flavours.
This is such a great way of having pumpkin in your food and yet keeping the spirit of pasta.
I made my pasta sauce with tomatoes and pumpkin purée and it was absolutely delicious.
You may also like these fall recipes: Pumpkin Pancakes, Pumpkin spice latte, Creamy Pumpkin Soup, Air fryer sweet potatoes and Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries
This creamy sauce recipe is healthier and can be easily made vegan using the suggestions I have shared.
Using pumpkin puree makes the sauce creamy without using actual cream.
I find that roasting pumpkin and making puree helps in making the sauce have more depth of flavour and creaminess.
Making pumpkin puree using Air fryer
Apply 1 tbsp. olive oil all over the pumpkin wedges. Preheat air fryer at 200C or 390F for 5 minutes.
Lay pumpkin wedges in the air fryer basket.
Air fry at 200C or 390F for about 15-20 minutes till they are well roasted.
Now take them out and remove the peel.
Blend to form thick delicious pumpkin puree.
2. Pumpkin pie spice adds an extra fall touch to the recipe and cinnamon, nutmeg and other spices really make this pasta sauce more flavourful.
Mix together 4 tsp. cinnamon powder, 2 tsp. ground ginger, 1 tsp. clove powder, ½ tsp. nutmeg powder and 1 tsp. allspice optional. Mix together and store.
Here is how to make pumpkin pie spice at home.
Now heat olive oil in a pan. Lightly saute chopped onion and garlic.
Now add 1 cup tomato puree made like this or you can use canned too. Cook for 5 minutes on low heat.
Add 1 cup pumpkin puree and cook on low flame till your sauce will start thickening.
Cook spaghetti in boiling water as per instructions on the pack.
It takes about 12-13 minutes. Drain and keep. Keep some pasta water in case later needed.
Add milk to your cooking sauce along with oregano, chilli flakes, pumpkin spice and salt.
Add sugar in case it tastes too sour. Taste and adjust seasoning. It should taste creamy.
In case the sauce gets too thick add some reserved drained water from pasta. Your sauce must not be runny.
Add in the cooked spaghetti and mix well.
Serve hot garnished with grated parmesan and generously sprinkled fresh grated pepper and basil or parsley.
Pumpkin Pasta Recipe
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 16 oz. spaghetti or 450 gms.
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 onion diced
- 1 tbsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup milk or plant-based milk
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 1 tsp. pumpkin spice
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- ½ tsp. chilli flakes
- 1 tsp. salt or to taste
- 1 tsp. sugar optional
- Finely grated parmesan for garnishing
- Basil or parsley for garnishing
Air frying pumpkin for pumpkin puree
- Apply 1 tbsp. olive oil all over the pumpkin wedges. Preheat air fryer at 200C or 390F for 5 minutes.Lay pumpkin wedges in the air fryer basket.Air fry at 200C or 390F for about 15-20 minutes till they are well roasted.
- Now take them out and remove the peel.Blend to form thick delicious pumpkin puree. Use 1 cup for the recipe.
Pumpkin Pie Spice Recipe
- Mix together 4 tsp. cinnamon powder, 2 tsp. ground ginger, 1 tsp. clove powder, ½ tsp. nutmeg powder and 1 tsp. allspice optional.Use 1 tsp. for the recipe.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet. Add finely diced onion and garlic. Cook lightly for about 2 minutes.
- Add 1 cup tomato puree cooked like this or canned puree and cook for about 5 minutes on low heat.
- Cook on low flame and your sauce will start thickening.
- Meanwhile cook spaghetti as per pack instructions. Takes about 12-13 minutes. Drain and keep. Keep some pasta water in case later needed.
- Add milk/plant milk to your cooking sauce along with oregano, chilli flakes, pumpkin spice and salt. Here’s how to make your own pumpkin spice.
- Add sugar in case it tastes too sour. Taste and adjust seasoning. It should taste creamy.
- In case the sauce gets too thick add some reserved drained water from pasta. Your sauce must not be runny.
- Add in the cooked spaghetti and mix well.
- Serve hot garnished with grated parmesan/vegan parmesan and generously sprinkled fresh grated pepper and basil or parsley.
2. Pumpkin spice really adds the Fall touch to this pasta. Try my recipe. You could use only ¾ tsp. cinnamon and ¼ tsp. nutmeg instead.
3. You can add in 1 tbsp. butter and 2 tbsp. cream in case you like your pasta to be creamier. I like to strike a balance between health and taste.
4. Black pepper really tastes good on this pasta.
5. You can make it vegan by using vegan alternates mentioned in the recipe.
Your delicious creamy pumpkin pasta is ready. Do try and let me know. Also request you to share a star rating * for the recipe.
Pumpkin is such a versatile ingredient, isn't it. I love the idea of using it in a creamy pasta recipe - this recipe will be on our weekend menu rotation!
Thanks so much Elizabeth. Absolutely, pumpkin is gorgeous! Glad you liked the recipe.
This is such a great idea! It looks perfectly creamy and will make for a great weeknight dinner.
Pumpkin in pasta. Wow! I know pumpkin can be used in different ways, but not like this. Pumpkin adds creaminess to food, surely this a nice addition. This looks delicious! Picky eaters won't notice this immediately. Thanks a lot
Beth Sachs says
Absolutely delicious and perfect for the season. My kids gobbled this up too.
Such a tasty and easy dish - comfort food at it's finest! looking forward to trying this pumpkin sauce soon!
Roshan R says
This actually sounds pretty good. Pinning it... Will try it out.
Mmmmm this looks really good and healthy too- going to try it out very soon and then send you a pic too Rachna!