Easy and delicious, this is a creamy pumpkin pasta sauce which is healthy and so satisfying with warm fall flavours.
This pumpkin pasta is a recent recipe that I tried and it is surprisingly good. It is so creamy without having any actual cream in it and my kids just loved its smooth flavours. This is such a great way of having pumpkin in your food and yet keeping the spirit of pasta. I made my pasta sauce with tomatoes and pumpkin purée and it was absolutely delicious.
How to Make the perfect creamy homemade pumpkin pasta sauce
This creamy sauce recipe is healthier and can be easily made vegan using the suggestions I have shared. Using pumpkin puree makes the sauce creamy without using actual cream.
- I find that roasting pumpkin and making puree helps in making the sauce have more depth of flavour and creaminess. You can Air fry or bake the pumpkin slices. Here is the detailed pumpkin purée recipe.
2. Pumpkin pie spice adds an extra fall touch to the recipe and cinnamon, nutmeg and other spices really make this pasta sauce more flavourful. Here is how to make pumpkin pie spice at home.
3. Tomato puree: I find that using tomato puree lends a punch to the sauce which could otherwise feel a bit insipid.
4. Pepper: Black pepper really lifts the taste in this pasta.
5. You can skip the cheese altogether but I do like a little sprinkling of it on the pasta while serving. I have used no cream or cheese in the sauce but it tastes delicious anyway.
6. I love spaghetti but shorter pastas work well too.
Check the recipe card for detailed recipe.
Pumpkin Pasta Recipe
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 16 oz. spaghetti or 450 gms.
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 onion diced
- 1 tbsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup milk or plant-based milk
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 1 tsp. pumpkin spice
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- ½ tsp. chilli flakes
- 1 tsp. salt or to taste
- 1 tsp. sugar optional
- Finely grated parmesan for garnishing
- Basil or parsley for garnishing
- Heat olive oil in a skillet. Add finely diced onion and garlic. Cook lightly for about 2 minutes.
- Add the tomato puree cooked like this or canned and cook for about 5 minutes on low heat.
- Add in the pumpkin that you can cook from scratch like this. Or you can use canned puree too.
- Cook on low flame and your sauce will start thickening.
- Meanwhile cook spaghetti as per pack instructions. Takes about 12-13 minutes. Drain and keep. Keep some drained water in case later needed.
- Add milk to your cooking sauce along with oregano, chilli flakes, pumpkin spice and salt. Here’s how to make your own pumpkin spice.
- Add sugar in case it tastes too sour. Taste and adjust seasoning. It should taste creamy.
- In case the sauce gets too thick add some reserved drained water from pasta. Your sauce must be thick.
- Add in the cooked spaghetti and mix well.
- Serve hot garnished with grated parmesan and generously sprinkled fresh grated pepper and basil or parsley.
2. Pumpkin spice really adds the Fall touch to this pasta. Try my recipe. You could use only ¾ tsp. cinnamon and ¼ tsp. nutmeg instead.
3. You can add in 1 tbsp. butter and 2 tbsp. cream in case you like your pasta to be creamier. I like to strike a balance between health and taste.
4. Black pepper really tastes good on this pasta.
5. You can make it vegan by using vegan cheese and plant-based milk in the recipe.
Your delicious creamy pumpkin pasta is ready. Do try and let me know. Also request you to share a star rating * for the recipe.
You may also like these fall recipes: