Sweet potatoes in Air fryer is the perfect side dish to make. It needs barely any effort. You have a dish that is melting soft inside while having a deliciously crispy skin outside.
But this air fryer baked sweet potato is a recent favourite that I end up making again and again.
It works as a wonderfully filling snack or a side dish.
I normally top them with butter/vegan butter, salt and pepper.
You May Also Like:
Sweet potato is loaded with nutrients and fibre.
You have the option of going sweet or savoury with this air fried sweet potato which is delightfully fluffy inside.
It is perfect as a side on Thanksgiving or on any other occasion.
How to Bake or Air fry Sweet Potato
The recipe is really simple. Here are the steps that you must follow:
Wash and dry the sweet potato well: As you are leaving the skin on, it is necessary that you really wash it well to remove all the grime.
After all, it does grow in soil. Drying it very well is crucial too.
We want the sweet potato skin to crisp up nicely and not get soggy and soft.
Hence dry it completely.
Yes, you can eat the skin and you must. It is loaded with nutrition and very earthy in taste.
Poke holes all over the sweet potato: I do this with a fork.
This is important to ensure that the sweet potato does not burst while baking or air frying.
Apply oil and salt all over the sweet potato: This is as easy as it gets.
I just brush it with oil mixed with salt.
Bake or Air fry: It just goes into the oven or Air fryer and that’s it.
Next you see your crispy creamy baked sweet potato. Super easy.
Serve: Take them out. Split through the middle. Fluff up the flesh a bit with a fork.
Serve with butter/vegan butter, salt and pepper for savoury or with butter/vegan butter, cinnamon and brown sugar for sweet.
Sour cream or vegan mayo also goes well.
I even like mustard on it. So go ahead, try your variations.
What is the Cooking Time?
In Oven: They take about 45 minutes in a 450 F oven for medium big ones. Vary the time as per the size.
In Air fryer: It took me 30 minutes at 390 F or 200 C. Again the time may vary as per size.
Once I tried air frying after microwaving the sweet potato for 5 minutes. It cut down the air frying time to 15-20 minutes at 390F or 200C.
So that's a nifty hack.
How to Know When they are Done
They look slightly shrunk with their skin wrinkling.
You can also check with a fork or knife that goes through easily when they are done.
No, sweet potatoes do not have too much starch. Hence it is not important to soak them before air frying.
You can have it with a topping of butter/vegan butter, salt and pepper. Mustard and butter taste good too. Or you can top with cinnamon, sugar and butter.
Here is Baked and Air Fryer Sweet Potatoes recipe card:
📖 Recipe Card
Air Fryer and Baked Sweet Potatoes
- 2 sweet potatoes large
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- ½ tsp. salt
- Wash and pat dry the sweet potatoes. Poke holes all over each one and keep aside. Brush with olive oil mixed with salt.
- You can precook the sweet potatoes in microwave for about 5 minutes. This will expedite the air frying or baking time.
For Air Fryer
- Preheat Air fryer at 390 F or 200 C for 4 minutes. Put in the sweet potatoes.
- Air fry for about 30-40 minutes till done (depends upon the size of the sweet potato). Check with a fork or knife that should go through easily.
- If you have microwaved your sweet potato then air frying time reduces to 15 to 20 minutes at 390F or 200C.
- Preheat oven at 450 F for 10 minutes.
- Line a baking tray with parchment and put your sweet potatoes on them. Put in the oven for about 45 minutes to an hour. Check for doneness.
2. The baking or air frying time will vary slightly with your model as well as the size of your potatoes.
3. You can serve them with butter/vegan butter, salt and pepper or sour cream/vegan mayo and chives if you love them savoury.
4. Butter/vegan butter with cinnamon and brown sugar is perfect for a sweeter treat.
5. They are a perfect healthy treat that even kids love. 6. You can microwave the sweet potatoes for 5 minutes. This helps in reducing the air frying or baking time.
If you liked the recipe, I request you to leave a * star rating either on the recipe card or in the comments. Thanks.