This pumpkin spice latte is my healthier version of the popular fall beverage in Starbucks. You get your kick of coffee and the richness from pumpkin puree. It is delicous.
So much so that I end up making it regularly once I make pumpkin puree at home.
The recipe is super easy and comes together in about 10 minutes if you have the ingredients at hand.
Here's my pumpkin pie spice recipe.
Of course, since I like the healthier way of having drinks I cut out the whipped cream and made a copycat Starbucks version.
But if you are feeling indulgent, why not go ahead!
Easy alternatives for ingredients of Pumpkin spice latte
1. Pumpkin puree: If you don’t have homemade pumpkin puree, you can go for canned puree. It tastes pretty similar.
2. Pumpkin spice: You can use 1 tsp. cinnamon powder and ¼ tsp. nutmeg powder as a quick substitute in case you don’t have ready pumpkin pie spice at hand.
3. Vegan alternatives: Use plant-based milks like almond milk, cashew milk or soy milk in place of regular milk. It is delicious either way. You can also go for slim milk as I do instead of full fat milk for a healthier option.
4. Cut out the whipped cream if you plan on making it regularly.
5. Use instant coffee if you don’t have fresh brewed coffee though I must tell you I gave up instant coffee ages ago. Brewed coffee rocks.
Making pumpkin puree using Air fryer
Apply 1 tbsp. olive oil all over the pumpkin wedges. Preheat air fryer at 200C or 390F for 5 minutes.
Lay pumpkin wedges in the air fryer basket.
Air fry at 200C or 390F for about 15-20 minutes till they are well roasted.
Now take them out and remove the peel.
Blend to form thick delicious pumpkin puree.
You can also boil pumpkin wedges and make a puree that way.
To assemble pumpkin spice latte
Add 1.5 tbsp. sugar to 2 cups milk/plant milk. You can use brown sugar or jaggery as well.
Add 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice and ¾ cup pumpkin puree to the milk mix. Now heat up this milk mixture.
Prepare some freshly brewed coffee.
Now pour ¼th cup of coffee in a mug. Add your pumpkin milk mixture to it. Mix well.
Garnish with some pumpkin pie spice and serve your hot and comforting pumpkin spice latte.
Here's the recipe card:
Healthy Pumpkin Spice Latte
- 2 cups milk or plant-based milk
- ¾ cup pumpkin puree Air fryer version given below
- 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice plus some for sprinkling
- 1.5 tbsp. sugar or brown sugar
- ½ cup coffee
- Whipped cream optional
Air frying pumpkin for pumpkin puree
- Apply 1 tbsp. olive oil all over the pumpkin wedges. Preheat air fryer at 200C or 390F for 5 minutes.Lay pumpkin wedges in the air fryer basket.
- Air fry at 200C or 390F for about 15-20 minutes till they are well roasted.
- Now take them out and remove the peel.Blend to form thick delicious pumpkin puree.
Pumpkin Pie Spice Recipe
- Mix together 4 tsp. cinnamon powder, 2 tsp. ground ginger, 1 tsp. clove powder, ½ tsp. nutmeg powder and 1 tsp. allspice optional.
- Mix together ¾ cup pumpkin puree, 1 tsp. spice, 1.5 sugar and milk. Heat it and keep aside.
- Make fresh brewed coffee on the side.
- Pour ¼ cup coffee for 1 mug. Add the heated pumpkin milk mixture. Mix well. Garnish with whipped cream if using and sprinkle some more pumpkin spice to reinforce the taste. Your delicious pumpkin pie latte is ready to have. Enjoy!
2. If you want more pumpkin flavour add more pumpkin puree. I already do add more because I like it that way. Do try our homemade pumpkin puree recipe.
3. Fresh pumpkin pie spice tastes the best but you can use store bought or even use 1 tsp. cinnamon with ¼ tsp. nutmeg in its place. Here is my homemade pumpkin spice recipe.
4. Using whipped cream makes it indulgent but since I make it regularly, my healthier version does not have it. But trust me it tastes fantastic nonetheless.
5. Fresh brewed coffee takes it to the next level. But feel free to use instant coffee dissolved in hot water as a substitute.
6. Adjust sugar or brown sugar as per your taste. I prefer low sweetness.
Hope you liked this recipe. Do try my healthy pumpkin spice latte. I have given a lot of substitutes to make it easier in case you are missing something.
If you liked this recipe, I request you to leave a star * rating on the recipe card or in the comments. Thanks.
You may also like
Beth Sachs says
What I would give for a cup of this at my desk right now. I love pumpkin spice latte!
That's nice to know, Beth.
Sandhya's Kitchen says
What a wonderful recipe!! I have lots of pumpkin puree in my fridge - so going to give this recipe a try soon.
Yum! Having had a pumpkin spice latter once overseas, I loved it- and this one is just as delish!
Yes Kylie. It is really delicious.
What a perfect treat for this cool weather. Can't wait to make it.
Do try it.
It's like a Fall hug in a mug. So much flavor in a latte. Yum!
This sounds just delicious! can you believe it, I have never had this drink (& I have been to Starbucks umpteen times! and it never caught my eye!!) - something I need to definitely remedy this fall!
Thanks Ishieta. You can make it at home as well. 🙂