This is a super healthy and super tasty recipe for homemade granola in air fryer and oven that is loaded with nutritional powerhouse ingredients.
Made with rolled oats, nuts, seeds and dry fruits, it is just so delicious as a breakfast or a snack. I have shared both oven and air fryer recipes.
You May Also Like:
We all love granola in my home. To tell you the truth I am not much of a cornflake or cereal fan, but granola I love.
Of course, most of the delicious granola that we buy in stores has way too much added sugars for my comfort being a Nutritionist and all.
So, I do what I know best – make my own granola. This recipe is a real keeper, and you will repeat it every week or fortnight, I promise.
How to Make Granola
These are the ingredients used that are then baked or air fried:
Rolled Oats: Yes, these are the oats that retain all their fibre and good carbohydrates. Steel cut oats are not suitable here as they don’t cook evenly. And instant oats burn easily.
Rolled oats are nutritionally wonderful and super crunchy when made into granola. I use gluten-free organic rolled oats.
Nuts and seeds: You can do a number of variations here. I generally use slivered almonds and cashews. Walnuts are great too. So are pistachios and pecans.
Seeds are another great addition. I love using pepitas or pumpkin seeds, chia seeds, flax seeds, melon seeds and so on depending upon my mood and availability.
Sweetener: Maple syrup or honey or both together work best. You can use brown sugar too.
Spices: Cinnamon is really good in granola.
Since I have made a big batch of pumpkin spice, I love using that as well. Ground ginger is good too.
Oil: I like using extra virgin olive oil for a bit of a savoury kick. But you can use any vegetable oil or coconut oil as per taste.
If you like, you can use ghee or butter too. But make sure to add half oil and half butter.
Salt: A bit of table salt really brings out the flavours. If using sea salt use slightly more.
Optionals: If you are a chocolate fan, then go ahead and add dark chocolate chips. They are always welcome.
You can add coconut flakes too if you like them. Even lemon zest or orange zest work well.
How to Serve It
You can have it for breakfast by having with milk and some fruit. It is filling and delicious.
You can also have it as a mid-morning or quick evening snack. Munch it as it is or with milk.
Vegan Alternatives: Use maple syrup as sweetner.
Gluten-Free alternatives: Use gluten-free rolled oats.
This is how to make delicious granola. It is easy to make gluten-free granola and vegan granola recipe as I have mentioned in the recipe card.
If you liked the recipe, I request you to give a star * rating for it. Thanks.
Mix together rolled oats, slivered almonds and cashews, pepitas and chia seeds, pumpkin spice and salt.
Add extra virgin olive oil and maple syrup or honey.
Mix well till everything is well coated.
Take an oven proof dish and line with parchment paper. Put in the coated granola and pat down with a spoon.
Preheat oven at 350 F or 160 C for 10 minutes. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
Spread out the granola mix in one layer and press down with a spoon. Bake for about 20-25 minutes or till done.
In Air fryer
Preheat air fryer at 350 F or 160 C for 5 minutes.
Keep the container with parchment paper and spread out granola mix in the Air fryer.
Air fry for 12-15 minutes till golden brown.
Every 5 minutes move the granola around to ensure even cooking.
Once done, keep it out till completely cooled. You will see that it sticks together to form granola clusters.
You can break them into small pieces or have them as it is depending upon what you like.
Your easy healthy homemade granola is ready to serve. Enjoy with milk or as is.
You can store it at room temperature for upto 2 weeks in an airtight container.
I generally leave it out on the dining table so that anyone looking for a quick snack could grab it on the go.
You can freeze it as well. But I have personally not tried it so far. My granola never lasts that long. 🙂
Here's the recipe card:
Healthy Homemade Granola
- 3 cups rolled oats
- ½ cup almonds slivered
- ¼ cup pepitas or raw pumpkin seeds
- ¼ cup chia seeds
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon or pumpkin spice
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup maple syrup or honey
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract optional
- ½ cup dried berries chopped if large (I used dried strawberries and cranberries)
- ½ cup chocolate chips optional
- Mix together oats, nuts, seeds, salt and pumpkin spice or cinnamon. Pour in the oil and maple syrup or honey. Mix well till everything is well coated.
- Preheat oven at 350 F or 160 C for 10 minutes. Line a baking tray with parchment paper. Spread out the granola mix in one layer and press down with a spoon. Bake for about 20-25 minutes or till done.
In Air Fryer
- Preheat air fryer at 350 F or 160 C for 5 minutes. Line a Borosil or oven safe container with parchment paper. Spread out the granola mix in one layer and press down with a spoon.
- Do mix around halfway to ensure even cooking.
- Air fry for 12-15 minutes till golden brown. Every 5 minutes move the granola around to ensure even cooking.
- Once done, keep it out till completely cooled. It clumps to form large clusters.
- Break the granola which clumps together or leave big clusters as per your choice. Add in the dried fruit and optional add ins and mix well. Store in an air tight container.
- Use rolled oats and not the steel cut or instant oats. 2. You can store the granola at room temperature in an airtight container for upto 2 weeks. 3. You could vary the nuts, seeds and dry fruit as per your taste.
If you liked the recipe, I request you to leave a star * rating. Thanks.