Upma or uppittu as it is called here in Bangalore is a favourite breakfast in the South. It is traditionally made with rava or cream of wheat. But in my home we make this version of vegetable upma with broken wheat or dalia most often.
Personally, I am not too fond of upma, but this upma recipe made using broken wheat or dalia is pretty nice both texture wise and taste wise. Since I started making this, I also tried other versions with millets and vermicelli that have turned out good.
You can check out these recipes: shavige bath or vermicelli upma, barley upma, baryard millet upma and foxtail millet upma. This upma recipe is a one-pot meal. Have it with boiled eggs for the perfect breakfast or light lunch. It is a favourite of my husband’s and hence is made regularly at home.
This is how to make upma:
Healthy Upma Recipe
- 1 cup broken wheat couscous or dalia
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 to matoes finely chopped
- 2-3 green chillies slit in half
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 tsp. urad dal split black lentil
- 1 tsp. chana dal split Bengal gram
- 1 tsp. mustard seeds
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1 tsp. vegetable oil
- ½ tsp. turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup vegetables finely chopped beans, carrots, mushroom
- 1 tbsp. cilantro finely chopped
- Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds and allow to sputter. Add cumin seeds, urad dal and chana dal and fry till golden. Add curry leaves and then add onion. Saute for about 5 minutes.
- Add split green chillies and tomatoes along with chopped vegetables and saute for 3 minutes.
- Now add broken wheat and fry for about 2-3 minutes. Add about 2 cups of water. Also add turmeric powder and salt. Mix well. Cover and cook.
- It takes about 15-20 minutes for the broken wheat to cook. You may add more water if needed.
- Once cooked, taste and adjust seasoning. Garnish with chopped cilantro leaves and serve hot.
- Your upma is ready to serve.
- You can add any vegetables that you like. You can also use boiled vegetables that you can add later when the broken wheat is almost cooked.
- You can reduce the number of green chillies if you so like.
- If you want it spicier, you can add a tbsp. of ginger-garlic paste when frying onion.
- This tastes best when hot but it can be had later as well. I often pack it in lunchbox.
Hope you liked this upma recipe and will try it at home. We normally have it with boiled eggs to make it a well balanced meal.
If you liked this recipe I request you to give a * star rating either on the recipe or when you comment. Thank you.
You May Also Like
Ragi Pancake Recipe
Please do share with your friends.