Growing up I remember my mum made steel cut oats regularly. She pressure cooked them in milk and sugar after frying the oats in clarified butter. This simple oats porridge or oatmeal was tasty and a much-loved breakfast. I somehow never got around to making this often, but when I did make overnight oats recipe, my kids enjoyed them. They like oats, both rolled oats and steel cut oats which they have instead of cereal on school days. Since it is filling, nutritious and tasty, I don’t mind at all.
What are Oats?
Oats are a whole grain that are very good for health. They are rich in anti-oxidants, fiber, vitamins and minerals. They are gluten-free and help with weight and cholesterol management. Having them in breakfast keeps you full for longer.
Different Types of Oats:
Oat groats: These are full oats and take immense time to cook. Hence they are generally not used often.
Steel-cut oats look like cut wheat. They are a whole grain that has been minimally processed. Hence they require more time for cooking and have most of their nutrients intact.
Rolled oats: These are very similar in benefits to steel cut oats. Since they are rolled, they are faster in cooking.
Instant oats: These are super fast to cook but are lower in nutrients. I generally avoid these.
Here’s how to make overnight steel cut oats:
Overnight Steel Cut Oats Recipe | How to Make Overnight Oats
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 3 cups warm water
- 1 cup yoghurt
- 4 tbsp. honey
- 4 tsp. nuts slivered
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil or clarified butter ghee
- 1 mango cubed
- 1 tbsp. peanut butter
- 1 tbsp. chocolate sauce Hershey’s
To cook overnight oats:
- Take 1 heaped cup steel cut oats in a bowl. Lightly toast in 1 tbsp. coconut oil or clarified butter (ghee). This makes them tastier. You can use oats without toasting too.
- Heat 3 cups of water in a large pan. Add the oats to the water. Cook for 1 minute and turn off the heat. Now leave it covered overnight. Your steel cut oats would have absorbed the water and cooked in that water.
- You may warm the oats in the morning or use them as is. Add honey to yoghurt and mix well. Ladle two large serves in a bowl. Then ladle an equal quantity of sweetened yoghurt and mix well.
- Now add some fresh fruit like chopped mangoes or strawberries and garnish with slivered nuts like almonds, cashews, pine nuts etc. You may use chopped dates or raisins too. Serve chillied and enjoy your healthy overnight oats.
- Add 1 tbsp. peanut butter along with some chocolate sauce. You can also add some choco chips if you so like. Serve chilled.
Hope you liked these 2 ways of making and serving overnight steel cut oats. Do try the recipe and let me know.
If you liked the overnight steel cut oats recipe, I request you to give a * star rating either on the recipe or when you comment. Thank you.
Please do share with your friends.
You may also like