Fluffy French toast is a delicious and super-quick breakfast option. Vary the toppings and enjoy a hearty and tasty breakfast treat.
This is a supremely easy breakfast dish that takes just about 10 minutes to cook. It needs just a few ingredients, is tasty too.
This classic French toast recipe is a real breeze to make and yet it has all the ingredients for a lavish weekend breakfast. It never gets boring as you can vary the toppings you like as per taste and season. It is perfect with a bowl of fruit and a lovely drizzle of maple syrup or honey. My teen boys love it. It is filling yet barely takes any time to make. I mean, isn't this the perfect breakfast?
What Makes the Perfect Toast
Bread: A nice thick slice of bread that soaks in the gorgeous flavours is perfect for this. The best bread for French toast is wholewheat or multigrain bread. You can use challah bread, even sandwich bread, Texas toast and sourdough tastes good too.
Eggs: They make the toast fluffy and delicious. You can substitute with cornstarch for a vegan alternative.
Milk: Nice full fat milk works the best. For vegans, coconut milk, almond milk or oat milk are good alternatives.
Spice: I love using both cinnamon and vanilla essence for a classic recipe. Pumpkin spice goes well too. Cinnamon French toast has more cinnamon, about 1 tsp. in the recipe.
Salt: A pinch of salt really perks up the recipe.
Butter/oil: Butter is really wonderful for brushing/cooking on the skillet. Some people love a pat of butter on the final toast too.
Maple Syrup: It really goes well as a sweetener. Honey is another favourite.
Here's my best French Toast recipe:
Easy French Toast in Air fryer and Skillet
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- ½ tsp. cinnamon or pumpkin spice
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 pinch of salt
- 8 slices whole wheat bread
- 1 tbsp. butter/oil for cooking
- Maple syrup or honey
- Sliced fruit
- Beat the eggs well and add milk, cinnamon (or pumpkin spice), vanilla essence and salt. Now dip each slice of bread into the mixture. Take it out and shake off excess.
For skillet frying
- Heat the skillet and lightly brush with oil/butter. Now put the bread slice in and cook each side till nice and brown. Take out and serve with drizzled maple syrup or honey and sliced fruit.
For Air fryer French Toast
- Preheat Air fryer to 160 C or 320 F for 4 minutes. Lightly brush the basket with oil or butter. Then put in the slice of bread dipped in the egg-milk mix. Air fry each side at 160 C or 320 F for about 4 minutes or till done.
2. Using thick bread slices is better for tasty French toast. Also don't dip the slices for too long or they will get soggy. Just dip and take out.
3. In case you find that your slices are sticking to the Air fryer basket, use parchment paper and then put in the slice.
4. You can air fry only one slice at a time.
5. You can vary the toppings depending upon what you like. I like to serve with honey and cut banana. You can also serve with Nutella, chocolate sauce, berries, granola and so on.
6. For a vegan alternative, use 1 tbsp. cornstarch instead of eggs in the mix. Also use coconut milk or almond milk in place of dairy and use coconut oil or vegan butter for brushing.
French toast batter: Whisk together the eggs, milk, vanilla, and spice into a shallow dish in which I dip my bread.
Cooking in Skillet
Heat the skillet and lightly brush with oil/butter. Now put the bread slice in and cook each side till nice and brown. It takes just 2-3 minutes per side. I cook on medium heat.
It takes just 2-3 minutes per side. I cook on medium heat.
For Air fryer Cooking
Making French toast in Air fryer is really easy. Preheat Air fryer to 160 C or 320 F for 4 minutes. Lightly brush the basket with oil or butter. Then put in the slice of bread dipped in the egg-milk mix. Air fry each side at 160 C or 320 F for about 4 minutes or till done.
Serve hot with garnishes of your choice. Enjoy.
If you liked the recipe, I request you to leave a star * rating. Thanks.
My French Toast recipe has 1 tsp. vanilla as an optional ingredient. I feel it does not make much difference to taste. So just skip it and make the recipe without it.
You can try a number of options to serve with French toast. I like to serve with honey and cut banana. You can also serve with Nutella, chocolate sauce, fresh or dried berries, granola, fruit like cut mango, apple, roasted pumpkin seeds, slivered almonds and so on.
Use gluten-free bread and 1 tbsp. tapioca starch in place of eggs.
Replace the eggs with 1 tbsp. corn starch. You can use potato starch or tapioca starch too. Use coconut or almond milk in place of dairy milk. The recipe turns out pretty good.
Just add 1/4 cup pumpkin puree to the recipe given above and cook normally. Addition of pumpkin pie spice goes really well when adding pumpkin puree for the Fall flavour.
You may also like: