Bhel puri is a delightful street food from India which is popular everywhere. While the general recipe remains the same, it is highly versatile and can be modified as per your taste and liking. Bhel puri recipe is all about balance. It is sour, salty, slightly sweet and spicy. And it is this melee of flavours that gets your tastebuds in a tizzy. It is a perfect anytime snack as it is very healthy. It is also very flavourful. I make it as an evening snack along with chai often.
Here is my bhel puri recipe, a popular Indian chaat:
Mumbai style bhel puri | Bhel Puri Recipe
- 2 cups puffed rice
- ½ cup mixture or namkeen
- ½ onion chopped fine
- ½ tomato chopped fine chopped fine
- ½ potato chopped fine
- ¼ raw mango chopped fine
- 1 tbsp. coriander finely chopped
- 1 green chilli finely chopped
- ½ tsp. lemon juice
- Green chutney
- Tamarind sweet chutney
- ½ tsp. Chat masala
- salt to taste
- 2 tbsp. Thin sev
- 4 papdi
- Mix together Puffed rice and namkeen and keep aside.
- Take in a bowl and add the chutneys as per taste. Add all the veggies, spices and lemon juice and mix quickly.
- Serve immediately garnished with thin or nylon sev and papdi. Your bhel puri is ready to serve.
- I don’t like sweet chutney so I use only the spicy green chutney in my bhel puri.
- You can also use grated carrot if you like but I like this combination of veggies.
- Make sure you serve immediately or your puffed rice will get soggy. You can’t make bhel puri and store it. You have to make it and serve instantly.
- Adjust spice according to taste.
This is a quick and easy recipe and healthy too. You can have it guiltfree any time as snack.
Assemble all ingredients to make bhel puri
In a mixing bowl add together puffed rice, mixture, chopped veggies, chutneys, spices and mix together. Top with fine sev and papdi along with lemon juice and serve instantly.
How to Make Dry Bhel Puri
There is also a dry bhel puri that is often made and eaten. The only difference is that all the above ingredients are used in the dry bhel except wet chutneys. The flavour comes from lime juice and spice mixes. You can add more chopped green chillies or red chilli powder if you want it hotter. This one does not get soggy easily and it is easier to make it quickly. Some people add things like boiled chickpeas to this.
In case you want to make your own bhel mix try this video
Hope you liked these bhel puri recipes and will make it in a hygienic way at home.
Enjoy this popular streetside snack at home.
If you liked the recipe, do give a * star rating either on the recipe or when you comment. Thank you.