Green peas have been a winter delicacy for long. When you shell really fresh peas, they are so tender and sweet that one ends up eating a lot of them as is. Winter is the perfect time to cook with them. They enhance the flavour of simple every day vegetables like aloo matar, gobhi matar, matar paneer, khoya matar makhana and so on. Matar ka nimona is another favourite of mine. As a matter of fact, I cook with fresh green peas every single day during winter. Today, I am sharing with you the recipe of Matar ki Ghugni or Hare matar ki chaat. This is an incredibly easy snack to make with green peas, and it was commonly made in my home during my childhood.
In fact, it was made on most evenings. It is a pretty simple recipe and if you haven't tried it, you must try making this matar ki ghugni that is very popular in UP homes.
Here is an easy matar ki ghugni recipe:
Matar ki Ghugni | Green Peas Chaat
- 1 cup green peas shelled
- 1 tbsp. mustard oil
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp. ginger grated
- 3-4 green chillies finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp. coriander powder
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 4 tbsp. sev (optional) for garnish
- 1 tbsp. coriander leaves chopped
- You can boil the peas in advance and keep. I prefer to cook them raw. Heat oil in a pan. Tip in cumin seeds and allow to sputter.
- Add in the ginger and chopped green chillies. Saute for a minute. Then add green peas. Mix well. Cover and cook till peas are tender. I prefer mine a bit crunchy.
- Add coriander powder and lemon juice. Adjust seasoning if needed. Serve hot garnished with coriander leaves and sev.
- Fresh green peas work better here, but you can use frozen peas too. Use the tender, sweet variety.
- You can add chilli powder or chaat masala if you prefer it to be spicier.
- I serve with crunchy sev as my addition to the recipe. The traditional one does not include sev.
Serve this hot matar ki chaat as a nutritious, filling snack. You can pack it in the lunchbox as well. Do try it and let me know.
If you liked this recipe, please share with your friends.