Pani puri or Gol gappe is a favourite street food in India. It is spicy, tangy and delicious.
Here I share detailed recipe of air fryer pani puri with puris, filling and pani. Try this homemade treat.
While I tend to buy readymade fried puris from outside, I tried them air fried and was super pleased with the results.
No added oil is needed and one gets supremely crispy puris in no time.
Puris: I have used readymade puris that are puffed using an air fryer.
Filling: A filling of soaked, boiled and cooked dry peas is made for this recipe.
Alternatively, boiled and mashed potatoes along with boiled sprouts can also be used.
Water: Pani puri or golgappa water is made with cilantro, mint leaves and green chillies along with spices.
Garnishes: Chopped onion and dry boondi.
So let's dive into the magic world of pani poori that explodes in your mouth with spicy, tart goodness.
How to Make Puri
With readymade puris in air fryer
Take ready made puris in a plate. You can try these readymade puris.
Preheat air fryer at 360F or 180C for 5 minutes.
Lay 9-10 puris at one go.
Air fry at 360F or 180C for 90 seconds or 1.5 minutes (I used a timer).
You will get perfectly puffed puris. If you fry for more time, your puris will get burnt so keep an eye.
Also the time may vary for different air fryers so do keep an eye when making for the first time.
Your crispy no oil added puris are ready. Serve them with filling and puri water.
Pani Puri Filling Recipe
Ingredients and Recipe for pani puri filling:
With dry peas
250 gm. or 1 cup dried peas (soaked overnight)
Boil in some water with ½ tsp. salt until fully cooked and mushy. It becomes thick.
Add ½ tsp. cayenne and 1 tsp. chaat masala to taste. Mix well.
Taste and adjust seasoning.
Use this with finely chopped onion as a pani puri filling.
With boiled potato and sprouts filling
Boil 3 large potatoes, peel and mash them.
Take 1 cup sprouts and steam or boil them in salted water. Drain and keep aside.
Mix both of them together and add ½ tsp. each salt, cayenne and chaat masala.
Use this with chopped onion for filling.
For the Pani puri water
Blend together ½ cup cilantro leaves, ¼ cup mint leaves, 2 green chillies along with ½ tsp. tamarind paste.
Add a little water to get a thin slurry.
Add 2 tbsp. pani puri masala along with salt to taste.
Taste and adjust seasoning to get a delicious pani puri water.
Chill it well. Add some boondi when serving.
To Assemble Pani Puris
Take all the ingredients together -- pani puri water, pooris, filling and chopped onions.
Now crack open a hole in the centre of a poori. Put adequate filling with crunchy onion in it.
Dip it in a bowl of spicy pani puri water and waste no time, put it in your mouth.
It's a fantastic experience that you and your family will relish over and over again.
Enjoy your yummy pani puri plate. Hope you will make it often.
Here's the recipe card:
📖 Recipe Card
Pani Puri | Golgappa
Pani Puri Water
- ½ cup cilantro
- ¼ tbsp. mint
- 2 green chillies reduce or increase depending upon the heat you like
- 1 tbsp. tamarind paste
- 2 tbsp. Pani puri masala
- 1 tsp. black salt
- 1 pinch sugar
- 6 cups water
- Salt to taste
Pani Puri Water Instructions
- Wash and coarsely chop cilantro, mint leaves and green chillies. Blend to a fine paste along with tamarind paste.
- Dilute with water to get pani puri water. Now add pani puri masala. I buy the Everest one or MDH one. Both are good.
- Add black salt and sugar and if needed more salt. Sugar is added to balance the flavour and to bring out the spicy and tart notes well.
- It is not to make the pani sweet. Mix and taste. Add salt or pani puri masala if something is lacking.
- Your lipsmacking pani is ready. Chill and serve.
Puris in Air fryer
- Take ready made puris in a plate. You can try these readymade puris.
- Preheat air fryer at 360F or 180C for 5 minutes.
- Lay 9-10 puris at one go.
- Air fry at 360F or 180C for 1.5 minutes or 90 seconds to get perfectly puffed puris. Serve immediately.
If you liked this post, I request you to leave a star * rating. Thanks.