I love chaats or street food and Pav Bhaji is my favourite along with vada pav and bhel puri from Bombay. Since the kids love it as much as I do, I end up making it often for breakfast. Actually you can have it for lunch or dinner as well. It is quite simple to make and has loads of veggies. Though since it also has a lot of butter, I am not sure if I can call it healthy. 🙂 But it’s a lovely indulgence for sure.
Here is my recipe:
Easy Pav Bhaji Recipe | How to Make Mumbai Pav Bhaji
- 2-3 large potatoes
- 1 cup cauliflower florets
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped French beans
- 1 cup peas
- 1 cup chopped bottle gourd optional
- 1 cup finely chopped capsicum or green pepper
- 2 tbsp. ginger-garlic paste
- 3 large tomatoes finely chopped
- 2-3 green chillies finely chopped
- 2 onions finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. pav bhaji masala
- 1 tsp. Kashmiri red chilli powder
- 1 tsp. chilli powder optional
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 2 tbsp. oil
- salt to taste
- For garnish
- More butter 🙂
- Finely chopped onions
- Slices of lemon
- Chopped coriander
- Pav bun
- Yet some more butter 🙂
- Take all the vegetables except capsicum in a pressure cooker and cook till boiled and well cooked. Mash them with a veggie masher. Keep aside.
- Take butter and oil in a kadhai/pan.
- Add chopped onions and fry for 3-4 minutes.
- Now add ginger-garlic paste and fry till the raw smell goes.
- Now add chopped tomatoes and chopped green chillies.
- Fry till it gets cooked and you see the oil leave the sides.
- Now add the cooked and mashed veggies along with chopped capsicum to the cooked masala.
- Add in all the dry masalas like pav bhaji masala, both chilli powders and salt. Mix well.
- Add water in which the veggies were boiled, stock or some plain water and cook down the bhaji till it is slightly thick.
- Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Serve hot garnished with chopped coriander and butter. Serve onion and lemon slices on the side.
- Heat a pan. Apply some butter. Cut the pavs into halves and toast them on the pan to serve with the bhaji.
- Enjoy this delicious treat with your family.
Do try this recipe. You will love to have it. It is also nice to make for parties and can be cooked in advance. Do share how you make pav bhaji.