I love chaats or street food and Pav Bhaji is my favourite along with vada pav and bhel puri from Bombay. Since the kids love it as much as I do, I end up making it often for breakfast. Actually you can have it for lunch or dinner as well. It is quite simple to make and has loads of veggies. Though since it also has a lot of butter, I am not sure if I can call it healthy. 🙂 But it’s a lovely indulgence for sure.
Here is my recipe:
📖 Recipe Card
Easy Pav Bhaji Recipe | How to Make Mumbai Pav Bhaji
- 2 potatoes
- 1 cup cauliflower florets
- ¼ cup carrots chopped
- ¼ cup beans chopped
- ¼ cup peas
- ¼ cup bottle gourd optional
- ¼ cup cabbage
- ¼ cup green pepper or capsicum
- 2 tbsp. ginger-garlic paste
- 3 tomatoes finely chopped
- 3 green chillies finely chopped
- 2 onions finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. pav bhaji masala or garam masala
- 1 tsp. Kashmiri red chilli powder or paprika
- 1 tsp. chilli powder or cayenne optional
- 2 tbsp. butter
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp. butter
- 1 onions finely chopped
- Slices of lemon
- cilantro chopped
- 8 Dinner rolls
- Take all the vegetables except capsicum in a pressure cooker or Insta pot and cook till boiled and well cooked. Mash them with a veggie masher. Keep aside.
- Heat 1 tsp. butter in a pan.
- Add chopped onions and fry for 3-4 minutes.
- Now add ginger-garlic paste and fry till the raw smell goes.
- Now add chopped tomatoes and chopped green chillies.
- Fry till it gets cooked and you see the oil leave the sides.
- Now add the cooked and mashed veggies along with chopped capsicum to the cooked masala.
- Add in all the dry masalas like pav bhaji masala, both chilli powders and salt. Mix well.
- Add water in which the veggies were boiled, stock or some plain water and cook down the bhaji till it is slightly thick.
- Taste and adjust seasoning. Use a potato masher to mash down the veggies.
- Serve hot garnished with chopped cilantro leaves and butter. Serve onion and lemon slices on the side.
- Heat a pan. Apply some butter. Cut the pavs or dinner rolls into halves and toast them on the pan to serve with the bhaji.
- Enjoy this delicious treat with your family.
Do try this recipe. You will love to have it. It is also nice to make for parties and can be cooked in advance. Do share how you make pav bhaji.