Aloo Poha or Kanda Poha is a favourite breakfast and snack in many parts of India. I had this Maharashtrian Poha Recipe for the first time when I came to live in Mumbai and immediately fell in love with it. It is really tasty especially with peanuts and potatoes and now with peas. And the best part, poha is so very simple to cook. You will barely need 15 minutes if you have all the ingredients at hand.
Do try this simple poha banane ki recipe:
Easy Veg Poha Recipe | Indian Breakfast
- 250 gm. thick poha washed well and soaked in water for 5 minutes
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 2-3 green chillies split into half
- 1 boiled potato chopped into small pieces
- 3 tbsp. groundnuts/peanuts
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen peas optional
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp. oil
- 1 tsp. mustard seeds
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1 piece small cinnamon optional
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- salt to taste
- Juice of 1 lemon
- coriander leaves to garnish
- grated coconut to garnish optional
- Drain all water from the soaked poha and keep it in a colander for the remaining water to drain out.
- Heat oil in a kadhai, add in the mustard seeds and cumin seeds along with peanuts.
- Allow them to sputter.
- Now tip in the cloves, cinnamon (if using), slit green chillies and curry leaves and cook for a minute.
- Tip in the chopped onion and cook till it is transparent.
- Now add in the boiled potato and peas and cook a bit. Add salt, turmeric and drained poha (beaten rice) and mix well.
- Cover and cook for about 4-5 minutes. Taste and adjust salt if necessary. Take it off the fire and pour lemon juice.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and fresh grated cocout (if using) and serve hot.
Enjoy this hot aloo poha recipe as breakfast or snack!
Watch the poha recipe video to understand this recipe better:
If you like this kanda poha recipe please share this and let me know how it turned out.
Do try out other breakfast recipes from Rachna cooks.