Kosambari is a fresh lentil and veggie salad that is made regularly in South India. It is refreshing and delicious.
Perfect for vegetarians as it is high in protein and good carbs.
I love to have it as a snack, making large quantities of it. Not only is it delicious with its simple and fresh flavours, kosambari is very quick to make and is very nutritious as well.
You can also temper the salad with some oil and fresh spices but I prefer it as is.
You may also like:
Kosambari Recipe | Moong Dal Kosambari | Lentil and Fresh Veggie Salad
- ½ cup moong dal split green gram soaked in water for 2 hours and drained
- 1 cucumber chopped fine
- 1 carrot grated
- ¼ fresh coconut grated
- 1 green chilly finely chopped
- finely chopped coriander leaves
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. oil
- 1 tsp. mustard seeds
- 2-3 sprigs fresh curry leaves
- Mix all the ingredients of the salad -- drained moong dal, chopped cucumber, grated carrot and coconut, chopped chilly and coriander leaves together. Add salt and lemon juice and mix well.
- Now heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds and curry leaves and allow them to sputter.
- Add to the salad and serve immediately.
- Your delicious kosambari is ready to serve.
2.Do not add salt and lime juice if you are planning to consume later.
Store each ingredient separately. Mix together and add tempering only when you are ready to eat.
3.You can have it without the tempering as well.
Do try this simple recipe. It will be a salad you will love making over and over again.
Do Pin this recipe if you enjoyed it.