These air fryer cabbage steaks are very flavourful. They have a slight caramelisation on the edges and are well seasoned. Excellent as a vegetable side.
Cabbage is a vegetable I use very commonly in my kitchen. It is used regularly in soup, stir fries, noodles and salads.
This cabbage and carrot salad is really delicious and made on rotation in my home. It is also super healthy.
You may also like: air fryer vegetables, air fryer mushrooms, broccoli, butternut squash, turnips, parsnips, eggplants, radish and green beans.
Cabbage: I take one head of cabbage and cut it into 4-5 steaks of equal thickness. Fresh cabbage is good. You can use purple cabbage as well.
Olive oil: Brushing the cabbage with olive oil helps spices to adhere. It also gives nice caramel edges to the cabbage steak.
If dairy is not an issue, you can use butter as well for this recipe.
Seasonings: I have used Cajun seasoning, salt and garlic powder here. Any seasoning mix works well.
Air fryer cabbage steak is a vegan recipe. You can use butter in place of olive oil for a vegetarian cabbage steak.
You can vary the spice seasonings depending upon your preference. Add more heat by using cayenne or chilli flakes.
You can make the steak cheesy by adding grated cheese on top in the final two minutes of air frying.
For a smoky flavour, you can brush the steak with BBQ sauce or apply BBQ spices on top.
Meal: Serve with a side of potato wedges, brown rice or quinoa and crispy tofu or fried chicken.
Side: Serve it as a side with sour cream or yogurt dollop. You can also serve it with a dip of choice. Serve with a protein of choice.
With salad: Serve with a filling chickpea salad for a nutritious snack or light meal.
In wraps or sandwiches: Use the steak in a burger, wrap or sandwich for a crunchy, spicy kick.
Choose a nice, firm head of cabbage that is fresh. You can use both the regular green cabbage or purple cabbage.
Adding a bit of water to the air fryer basket helps in making the cabbage softer and well cooked while air frying.
Season it well with spices of your choice.
Use olive oil or butter to brush both sides of cabbage for an even browned appearance.
Cut cabbage steaks of uniform width. I keep them about ¾” thick. Some of the side leaves may dislodge. That’s okay.
Do not overcrowd your air fryer while cooking cabbage steaks. I sometimes cook 1.5 steaks at one go. Depending on the number of steaks, you may need to air fry in multiple batches.
Remember the replace the water used in the base after every two steaks.
You can store them in the fridge for up to 2 days and air fry to reheat before serving.
Pour ¼ cup of water in the base of air fryer.
Now preheat the air fryer at 360F or 180C for 5 minutes.
Meanwhile cut a cabbage into uniform thickness (about ½" to ¾" thick) steaks and keep aside.
Brush one side with oil or butter. Then apply the seasoning mix you are using after mixing the spices.
Spread them on one side of the cabbage steak.
After preheating, place the cabbage steak with the side brushed with oil and seasoning facing the bottom.
Now brush the top of the steak with oil and apply seasonings.
Do not over crowd air fryer basket.
Air fry at 360F or 180C for 8-10 minutes till the cabbage steak is cooked and the sides get crispy.
Take it out and serve cabbage steaks done in air fryer hot.
Remember the second steak will be done a minute or two faster, as the air fryer is already heated.
There is no need to flip the steak during air frying.
Here's the recipe card:
📖 Recipe Card
Air fryer Cabbage Steak
- 1 head cabbage about 4 steaks
- 1 tbsp. olive oil or butter
- 1.5 tsp. Cajun seasoning or Old Bay seasoning
- ½ tsp. Garlic powder
- ½ tsp. Salt
- Pour ¼ cup of water in the base of air fryer. Now preheat the air fryer at 360F or 180C for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile cut a cabbage into uniform thickness steaks (½" to ¾” thickness) and keep aside.
- Brush one side with oil or butter. Then apply the seasoning mix you are using after mixing the spices.
- Spread them on one side of the cabbage steak.
- After preheating, place the cabbage steak with the side brushed with oil and seasoning flipped on air fryer basket.
- Spray/brush the air fryer basket before laying the steak. Don’t overcrowd the basket.
- Now brush the top of the steak with oil and apply seasonings.
- Air fry at 360F or 180C for 8-10 minutes till the cabbage steak is cooked and the sides get crispy.
- Take it out and serve your cabbage steak hot.
- Remember the second steak will be done a minute or two faster, as the air fryer is already heated.
- There is no need to flip the steak during air frying.
If you liked the recipe, please leave a star * rating. Thanks.
Omg these cabbage "steaks" turned out to be so meaty and crispy in the air fryer! Adding the cajun seasoning made them super flavorful too!
So delicious and easy to make! Was awesome to make for the family. They loved it.
This air fryer version of cabbage steaks looks fantastic. Thanks for sharing.
We love cabbage and this looks delicious. Love that I can make it in the air fryer! Thanks so this recipe!