This is a hearty, filling and tasty tomato soup recipe made with fresh tomatoes. You can make it with canned tomatoes as well which makes this recipe quicker. Adding carrot and beetroot up its nutritional quotient and the beetroot lends a beautiful colour to it. But, if you don't like beetroot you can leave it out. This simple tomato soup has the base of carrots, onion and garlic and it is so yummy.
Tomato soup is a classic recipe that one can end up having all the year long though it is just perfect for fall or winter. While I love cream of tomato soup, this version is thicker and more nutritious. You can add a splash of cream at the time of serving if you like it that way. My favourite though is serving the soup with croutons or bread sticks.
Here is my tomato and carrot soup recipe:
Tomato Soup Recipe
- 1 lb. tomatoes or 500 gm.
- ½ beetroot (optional)
- 3 carrots
- 1 small onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- ½ inch ginger
- 1 tsp. pepper
- ½ tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. butter or olive oil
- 1 tsp. salt
- Croutons to serve
- 1 tsp. cream optional for serving
- Peel and cut all the vegetables into small pieces. Heat butter or olive oil in a soup pot or pan. Saute ginger, garlic and onions till they are fragrant for about 5 minutes.
- Now add in the crushed tomatoes with their juice, salt and sugar. Simmer for about 10 minutes till they are well cooked.
- Once cool, take it out and puree well to a smooth paste. Sieve it and put the soup back on fire.
- Now add oregano and black pepper to taste.
- Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Garnish with a swirl of cream and serve hot.
- You can use a can of tomatoes in place of fresh tomatoes for faster cooking.
- Garnish with croutons for a lovely crunch.
This is the perfect season to have this healthy and nutritious tomato soup. Kids love it as well.
If you like this recipe, I request you to leave a star rating for it. Thanks.
You will enjoy this one especially in the chilly evenings of winter. Enjoy.
Looking for more soup recipes click here.