This leek cauliflower and potato soup is a nice and light vegan soup that is quick and easy to make. It is a favorite of the kids as well.
It is healthy and comes together in no time. It is simple yet so delicious.
You can make a large batch and have it over days after warming it. I also add in other veggies that I have to make it more nutrient rich.
If you like it creamy, you could add some almond milk or dairy milk.
Why You'll Love this Recipe
1. Easy: This recipe is really simple to make. It is newbie friendly. My college going son loves making this soup.
2. Easy ingredients: The ingredients are easy to source. You can also add any veggies of choice as long as you have leeks and potato at hand.
3. Nutritious: With all the vegetables used here, it is a great way to get in your servings of vegetables.
4. Fast: The soup is done in under 30 minutes.
5. Versatile: You can add more veggies, vary the spices used and add in your protein of choice. Super versatile.
1. Leeks: I have used 3 leeks here for their nice onion flavor.
2. Potatoes: Potatoes turn creamy after blending and make the soup satisfying.
3. Vegetables: Cauliflower, zucchini and carrots have been used here because I had them at hand.
I sometimes also add broccoli and mushrooms, even spinach.
4. Broth: Use a flavorful vegetable broth either homemade or store bought.
5. Garlic and Onions: They make the soup redolent with a deep flavor.
6. Herbs and Spices: I have used salt, pepper and some fresh basil here. Rosemary and thyme taste great too.
Variations and Substitutions
1. This recipe is vegan. You can add some coconut milk and Thai red curry paste for a creamier Thai style taste.
2. You can make this hotter by adding some sliced red chillies to the soup.
3. As mentioned earlier, you can add more or less vegetables as per taste and availability.
4. Add protein to make the soup more satisfying. You can add cooked beans or tofu. Vegetarians and meat eaters can add paneer cubes or boiled chicken to the soup.
5. You can add some boiled rice or boiled noodles for carby goodness.
1. Serve hot topped with fresh herbs or croutons for crunch.
2. Toasted almonds or pumpkin seeds taste great as a topping here.
3. Serve with a swirl of coconut cream for richness.
Take all the vegetables that you are using.
Wash them well and chop them in large cubes or similar sized pieces. Chop leeks.
Peel potatoes and cube them. Keep aside. Peel and dice carrots. Chop zucchini and cauliflower and keep aside. Chop one onion and mince 3 garlic cloves and keep aside.
Heat a pan and add olive oil to it. Heat it.
Add chopped onions and garlic and saute for 2 minutes.
Add leeks, cauliflower, zucchini and carrots. Cook on low flame for 5 minutes.
Add in the cubed potatoes with vegetable stock and let it come to a boil.
If your stock does not have salt, then add salt.
Put a lid and cook for about 10 minutes till the vegetables get soft.
Take off the heat and allow to cool.
Blend till creamy in a blender.
Now put the blended soup back in the pan. It is thick and creamy.
Add more stock or you can add coconut milk for a richer taste.
Garnish with salt and pepper and I added some fresh basil leaves.
Serve hot. Your leek cauliflower and potato soup is ready to serve.
1. This soup has vegetables as its base. It is thick and nutritious. Perfect way to feed your family vegetables.
2. It is a versatile soup where you can add any herbs or flavors of choice. On its own, it is a creamy soup (due to potatoes) with a mild taste.
3. You can add celery to the soup too or any of the vegetables mentioned.
4. You can blend the soup fine or can leave it chunky as per your wish.
5. If the soup is too thick, you can dilute it with water or stock or even coconut milk.
Here's the recipe card:
📖 Recipe Card
Leek Cauliflower and Potato Soup Recipe
- 1 Pan
- 3 leeks
- 2 potatoes
- 1 zucchini
- 1 carrot
- ½ head cauliflower
- 1 onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup coconut milk optional
- 1 tsp. pepper
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- Basil leaves to garnish
- Take all the vegetables that you are using.
- Wash them well and chop them in large cubes or similar sized pieces. Chop leeks.
- Peel potatoes and cube them. Keep aside. Peel and dice carrots. Chop zucchini and cauliflower and keep aside. Chop one onion and mince 3 garlic cloves and keep aside.
- Heat a pan and add olive oil to it. Heat it.
- Add chopped onions and garlic and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add leeks, cauliflower, zucchini and carrots. Cook on low flame for 5 minutes.
- Add in the cubed potatoes with vegetable stock and let it come to a boil.
- If your stock does not have salt, then add salt.
- Put a lid and cook for about 10 minutes till the vegetables get soft.
- Take off the heat and allow to cool.
- Blend till creamy in a blender.
- Now put the blended soup back in the pan. It is thick and creamy. Add 1 cup coconut milk and stir. Or you can add more stock to thin down the soup.
- Garnish with salt and pepper and I added some fresh basil leaves.
- Serve hot. Your leek cauliflower and potato soup is ready to serve.
If you make this recipe of leek and potato soup, do let me know how it turned out.