This leek and potato soup is a nice and light vegetable soup that is quick and easy to make. It is a favorite of the kids as well.
It is healthy and comes together in no time. A perfect snack or an accompaniment to a meal.
This is how I make this potato leek soup:
Potato leek soup recipe
- 1 large leek take out the tough green leaves and chop up the rest after thorough washing
- 2 potatoes diced into cubes
- 1 onion chopped fine
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 carrots chopped
- 1 zucchini chopped
- 1 tsp. vegan butter or olive oil
- 1 cup almond milk or soy milk
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- ½ tsp. garam masala (optional) my Indian twist
- salt to taste
- vegetable broth or soup cube
- 1 tsp. finely chopped dill
- 2 mushrooms for garnish
- Tip in the vegan butter or olive oil in a pan or a pot. Heat it. Put in the chopped veggies like leeks, onions, minced garlic, zucchini and carrots.
- Let them cook for 3-4 minutes. Put in the potatoes and water or stock.
- Let it come to a boil. Add salt and garam masala (optional) and let it simmer for 10 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, cool down the soup and blend it not too fine. Put the soup back in the pan and add almond milk. Boil for a couple of minutes more.
- Add finely chopped dill and freshly ground pepper. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Add finely sliced mushrooms either sauteed or cooked in the boiling soup for about a minute. Serve with toasted bread for a satisfying vegan leek and potato soup.
- For a vegetarian version, you can use regular butter and milk in the recipe.
- If you can't find leeks, use spring onions in their place. You can also use more onion instead.
- This is a thick soup. Add more stock or water if it feels too thick.
- You could add other vegetables like beans etc. if you so desire.
- This soup is a great way to let your kids consume some vegetables.
If you make this recipe of leek and potato soup, do let me know how it turned out.
Also share with your friends.
If you enjoy soups, do check out other soup recipes on the blog.