Horse gram is also known as Kollu here in Karnataka, Kulthi or Kulith in Hindi. I had not heard of it till recently let alone cook with it. A few months back, my mother-in-law carried this legume on one of her trips to my home. She mentioned that this grain has amazing health benefits and that we must include it in our diet. Apparently she had it regularly in her childhood.
So, I read more about horse gram and was quite enthused to read about its amazing health benefits.
Health Benefits of Horsegram
- It is a very high protein plant food, that is rich in iron, calcium and fibre.
- Horsegram for weight loss is often used as it keeps you satiated for long and is nutritionally very rich. It is high in slow release carbohydrates and fibre.
- Helps with diabetes management as when eaten after a meal, it can reduce glycemic index and better insulin resistance.
- It is considered good for women during their periods and also helps with arthritis and joint pain.
Since then, I have been cooking it in multiple ways -- dal, rasam, soup, salad and as a stir fry. I also sprout this legume just like moong to enhance its nutritional benefits and then use it. This horse gram soup is delicious in a very homestyle way and is loved by the entire family.
Horsegram Soup | Kollu Soup | High Protein Weight Loss Recipe
- 1 cup horsegram soaked in water overnight
- 1-2 green chillies finely chopped
- 4-5 garlic cloves minced
- 1 sprig curry leaves finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. cilantro finely chopped
- 1 tsp. black salt
- Salt to taste
- Juice of 1 lemon or tamarind juice 1 tbsp.
- Cook the soaked and drained horsegram in pressure cooker for 3-4 whistles till mushy and well cooked. If using sprouts, one whistle is enough. You can also cook on stovetop.
- Now take 3-4 tbsp. of cooked horsegram and puree in a blender. Add to the boiled horsegram. I leave some cooked horsegram whole for a different texture.
- Now add the finely chopped green chillies, curry leaves, minced garlic, black salt and salt. Finish with lemon juice or tamarind juice and mix well.
- Consume hot with boiled rice or just as is. It is tasty and really healthy.
You can prepare Ulava charu or Andhra style horsegram rasam recipe by following the same recipe as above with the following minor tweaks:
- Blend 3-4 tbsp. of boiled horse gram and add to the boiled horse gram water to make a thick soup.
- Now add the finely chopped green chillies, minced garlic, 1/2 tsp. pepper powder and salt along with 1 tbsp. tamarind juice. Boil it well.
- Give a tempering of 2 dry red chillies, 1 tsp. mustard seeds and a few curry leaves in 1 tsp. oil. Pour it into the ulavu charu and serve hot with rice.
This ulava charu is delicious and super healthy. A perfect substitute for rasam.
Do tag #rachnacooks if you make this and share pictures. I would love to know if you tried out this easy recipe.
Also if you liked the recipe, I request you to give it a * rating in your comments or on the recipe card. Thanks.
Do also try out these horsegram recipes for weight loss