Horse gram or kollu soup is a simple and easy soup recipe that uses the boiled water and legume. It is low calorie, nutritious and good for weight management.
Horse gram is also known as Kollu in Karnataka, Kulthi or Kulith in Hindi.
It is very high in protein and complex carbohydrates.
It is so named as it is fed to horses being so nutritious.
I also sprout this legume to enhance its nutritional benefits and then use it.
This horse gram soup is delicious in a very homestyle way and is loved by the entire family.
Health Benefits of Horsegram
1. It is a very high protein plant food, that is rich in iron, calcium and fibre.
2. Horsegram for weight loss is often used as it keeps you satiated for long and is nutritionally very rich. It is high in slow release carbohydrates and fibre.
3. Helps with diabetes management as when eaten after a meal, it can reduce glycemic index and better insulin resistance.
4. It is considered good for women during their periods and also helps with arthritis and joint pain.
How to Prepare Ulava charu
You can prepare Ulava charu or Andhra style horsegram rasam recipe by following the same recipe as given below with the following minor tweaks:
1. Blend 3-4 tbsp. of boiled horse gram and add to the boiled horse gram water to make a thick soup.
2. Now add the finely chopped green chillies, minced garlic, ½ tsp. pepper powder and salt along with 1 tbsp. tamarind juice.
Boil it well.
3. Give a tempering of 2 dry red chillies, 1 tsp. mustard seeds and a few curry leaves in 1 tsp. oil.
Pour it into the ulavu charu and serve hot with rice.
This ulava charu is delicious and super healthy. A perfect substitute for rasam.
This horsegram soup is perfect as a light soup or snack.
Have it as it is or if you are feeling a bit hungry, you can add some boiled rice to the soup and consume it.
Horse gram: 1 cup horsegram that has been soaked overnight in water is used for this recipe.
Garlic and green chillies: These are used for flavoring the soup.
Seasonings: Black salt and lemon juice are used to season the soup.
Garnish: Curry leaves and cilantro are used to garnish the soup.
Cook soaked and drained horsegram in pressure cooker for 3-4 whistles till mushy and well cooked.
You can cook them in a pan till cooked or in Instant Pot as well.
If using sprouts, one whistle is enough.
You can also cook on stovetop.
Take 3-4 tbsp. of cooked horsegram and puree in a blender (if you want your soup to be thicker).
Add to the boiled horsegram.
I leave some cooked horsegram whole for a different texture.
Now blend together green chillies, curry leaves, garlic and cilantro leaves.
Add to the boiled horsegram with water.
Finish with lemon juice or tamarind juice and mix well.
Consume hot with boiled rice or just as is. It is tasty and really healthy.
1. I don't blend the sprouted legume but you can if you want your soup to be of uniform consistency.
Generally I blend more of the legume which is unsprouted.
2. This soup is runny and surprisingly tasty.I
prepare black gram or chana soup in a similar way with black chana sprouts.
You can use this recipe for green moong spouts as well.
3. For Andhra style ulava charu, I have shared the recipe above.
The only difference is in the tempering.It is really simple yet tasty.
1. What is the use of horsegram soup?
Horsegram soup is believed to warm the body.
It is also highly nutritious and is used for weight management along with a balanced diet.
2. Can I consume horsegram water every day?
Despite its health benefits, every thing needs to be taken in moderation.
Consume horsegram 2-3 times a week as a part of a balanced diet.
Here's the recipe card:
📖 Recipe Card
Horsegram Soup | Kollu Soup | High Protein Weight Loss Recipe
- 1 cup horsegram soaked in water overnight
- 1-2 green chillies
- 4-5 garlic cloves
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 tbsp. cilantro
- 1 tsp. black salt optional
- Salt to taste
- Juice of 1 lemon or tamarind juice 1 tbsp.
- Cook the soaked and drained horsegram in pressure cooker for 3-4 whistles till mushy and well cooked. If using sprouts, one whistle is enough. You can also cook on stovetop.
- Now take 3-4 tbsp. of cooked horsegram and puree in a blender (if you want your soup to be thicker). Add to the boiled horsegram. I leave some cooked horsegram whole for a different texture.
- Now blend together green chillies, curry leaves, garlic and cilantro leaves. Add to the boiled horsegram. Finish with lemon juice or tamarind juice and mix well.
- Consume hot with boiled rice or just as is. It is tasty and really healthy.
Do tag #rachnacooks if you make this and share pictures. I would love to know if you tried out this easy recipe.
Also if you liked the recipe, I request you to give it a * rating in your comments or on the recipe card. Thanks.