Horse gram or kollu soup is a simple and easy soup recipe that uses the boiled water and legume. It is low calorie, nutritious and good for weight management.
Horse gram is also known as Kollu in Karnataka, Kulthi or Kulith in Hindi. It is very high in protein and complex carbohydrates.
It is so named as it is fed to horses being so nutritious.
I also sprout this legume to enhance its nutritional benefits and then use it. This horse gram soup is delicious in a very homestyle way and is loved by the entire family.
Health Benefits of Horsegram
- It is a very high protein plant food, that is rich in iron, calcium and fibre.
- Horsegram for weight loss is often used as it keeps you satiated for long and is nutritionally very rich. It is high in slow release carbohydrates and fibre.
- Helps with diabetes management as when eaten after a meal, it can reduce glycemic index and better insulin resistance.
- It is considered good for women during their periods and also helps with arthritis and joint pain.
You can prepare Ulava charu or Andhra style horsegram rasam recipe by following the same recipe as given below with the following minor tweaks:
- Blend 3-4 tbsp. of boiled horse gram and add to the boiled horse gram water to make a thick soup.
- Now add the finely chopped green chillies, minced garlic, ½ tsp. pepper powder and salt along with 1 tbsp. tamarind juice. Boil it well.
- Give a tempering of 2 dry red chillies, 1 tsp. mustard seeds and a few curry leaves in 1 tsp. oil. Pour it into the ulavu charu and serve hot with rice.
This ulava charu is delicious and super healthy. A perfect substitute for rasam.
Here's the recipe card:
Horsegram Soup | Kollu Soup | High Protein Weight Loss Recipe
- 1 cup horsegram soaked in water overnight
- 1-2 green chillies
- 4-5 garlic cloves
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 tbsp. cilantro
- 1 tsp. black salt optional
- Salt to taste
- Juice of 1 lemon or tamarind juice 1 tbsp.
- Cook the soaked and drained horsegram in pressure cooker for 3-4 whistles till mushy and well cooked. If using sprouts, one whistle is enough. You can also cook on stovetop.
- Now take 3-4 tbsp. of cooked horsegram and puree in a blender (if you want your soup to be thicker). Add to the boiled horsegram. I leave some cooked horsegram whole for a different texture.
- Now blend together green chillies, curry leaves, garlic and cilantro leaves. Add to the boiled horsegram. Finish with lemon juice or tamarind juice and mix well.
- Consume hot with boiled rice or just as is. It is tasty and really healthy.
Do tag #rachnacooks if you make this and share pictures. I would love to know if you tried out this easy recipe.
Also if you liked the recipe, I request you to give it a * rating in your comments or on the recipe card. Thanks.
Do also try out these horsegram recipes for weight loss