This spicy air fried buffalo cauliflower is really delicious and crispy. It is a delicious appetizer or snack.
Cauliflower is among my favourite vegetables. It is super easy to prepare and high in nutrition.
It is also a perfect substitute for chicken in case you are craving chicken wings.
How to Make Crispy Cauliflower Wings
I will tell you a secret. There are times when I just make the crispy cauliflower wings and have them as is with a dip.
They are seriously tasty even without the hot sauce.
The trick to making crispy cauliflower is in cutting it into bigger florets. That way the marinade clings to it nice and well.
Your marinade also must be thick and not runny.
It really does not need too much time in the Air fryer. I like the cauliflower to have a bit of bite inside and not turn mushy.
The coating on top becomes nice and crunchy using the flour, milk and water combination.
Also when you air fry the cauliflower leave enough space around the florets so that they brown well. Don’t overcrowd the frier.
Step wise Pictures
Mix together 1 cup wholewheat flour or almond flour, 1 cup (½ cup plant milk + ½ cup water) or 1 cup plant milk.
Add salt, cayenne, Italian seasoning, pepper and garlic powder.
Mix well to form a thick breading. Keep aside.
Add cauliflower to the breading.
Cut cauliflower into large florets or wings. Dip them in the breading till they are well coated.
Pre heat Air fryer to 390 F or 200 C for about 4 minutes.
Place the dipped florets in a single layer on the air fryer basket after brushing it with oil.
You could use parchment paper to avoid sticking.
Air fry for 10 minutes at 200C or 390F till the coating is cooked and the cauliflower is crispy.
After brushing with sauce, you will air fry for 2 minutes more.
Prepare buffalo sauce by mixing together 1 tsp. vegan butter/olive oil to 3 tbsp.
Hot sauce or Buffalo sauce with a few squirts of Tabasco. Mix well.
Brush well on the crispy cauliflower and Air fry for 2 minutes more or just serve right away.
Delicious super tasty buffalo cauliflower bites are ready.
Here's the recipe card:
📖 Recipe Card
Cauliflower Buffalo Wings in Air fryer and oven
- 1 cauliflower head
For Buffalo sauce
- 3 tbsp. hot sauce or buffalo sauce
- 1 tsp. vegan butter or olive oil (optional)
- Some tabasco
- Cut cauliflower into drumstick or wing size florets. Don’t make them too small or they collapse on cooking.
- Add the ingredients of breading together. Mix well. Now dip the cauliflower florets to coat them well.
For Air Fryer
- Heat Air fryer to 390 F or 200 C for about 4 minutes. Place the dipped florets in a single layer on the air fryer basket after brushing it with oil.
- You could use parchment paper to avoid sticking. Air fry for 10 minutes at 200C or 390F till the coating is cooked and so is the cauliflower.
- You will air fry for 2 minutes more after brushing with the sauce.
- Preheat the oven at 400 F for about 10 minutes. Line a baking tray with parchment paper and bake for about 15-20 minutes till browned. Turn once in the middle. You can broil for 3-5 minutes more if you want even more browning.
For Buffalo sauce
- Meanwhile prepare the Buffalo sauce by adding 1 tbsp. vegan butter or olive oil to 3 tbsp.
- Hot sauce or Buffalo sauce with a few squirts of Tabasco. I told you this was spicy. Mix well.
- Once your cauliflower is done, you can brush the hot sauce all over the cauliflower florets and air fry for 1-2 minutes more.
- This is optional. Otherwise, just brush with the hot sauce and serve it right away with a nice ranch or mayo dip.
2. You can use almond flour in place of whole wheat flour or use all-purpose flour too.
3. To make it low calorie, you can skip vegan butter or olive oil. It actually tastes pretty good even otherwise. Those who consume dairy can use butter. 4. This is a hot recipe. To reduce the heat reduce the quantity of hot sauce used. 5. This recipe is very versatile. I love it with maple syrup barbecue sauce too.
6. It is easy to make ahead. Cut up cauliflower into florets. Prepare the breading and keep aside. Do the same for the hot sauce. Then when you are ready air fry.
If you liked the recipe, leave a star * rating. Thanks.
You may also like