These delicious and crispy smashed potatoes in air fryer make for a wonderful appetizer or side. If you love potatoes, you will love this side.
This versatile recipe can be made very healthy and very indulgent depending upon your mood.
If you are looking for air fryer recipes, tips, tricks and conversations, join my Facebook group Awesome Air fryer Recipes here.
I have always loved having both baked potato and smashed potatoes in restaurants till I started making them at home.
Air fryer is perfect for this. You get a good crunch and reduced calories.
Even its simplest version is really delicious while being so basic. Anyone can make this recipe, it’s so easy.
Needs very few ingredients. You can replicate the same with baby potatoes.
Preparation for potatoes
Parboiling the potatoes cuts down on the air fryer cooking time. You can do this in 2 ways:
1. Boil in a pressure cooker or instant pot: I generally do this for 2-3 whistles in the manual pressure cooker so that the potatoes are almost cooked but not mushy.
In Instant Pot, steam 4 potatoes for 9 minutes at full pressure after adding 1 cup water in the IP.
After it beeps, let the pressure release naturally.
2. Microwave: Microwave the potatoes for about 8-10 minutes till they seem mostly done.
Spice mix suggestions
1. Garlic and pepper butter: Make garlic butter with melted butter (or ghee), garlic powder or crushed garlic along with pepper.
I also add cayenne for that punch and color.
Feel free to add any dried herbs of choice like dill, oregano, Italian seasoning etc.
2. Olive oil, pepper, garlic and salt: For a vegan punch, use extra virgin olive oil with crushed pepper, garlic powder or crushed garlic and salt.
Dipping sauce suggestions
1. Spicy mayo: After applying any of the above two, serve hot with spicy mayo.
It makes it very delicious but high on Calories. So strictly an indulgence.
I don’t have a dip personally but my son prefers it.
2. Finely chopped onion and green chillies: If you enjoy some crunch, serve with a garnish of finely chopped onion and green chillies (for the heat).
Throw in some chopped cilantro too.
1. Low calorie: You can crisp up the smashed potatoes in the air fryer.
For spice mix for brushing, just add spices to water or lemon juice and brush the potatoes. They won’t be as tasty but they will be zero oil.
2. Vegan: Use olive oil or vegan butter in place of butter along with spices for brushing the potatoes.
Use a vegan mayo dip in case you are using.
3. This recipe on its own is gluten-free and dairy free (if using olive oil).
1. Boil potatoes in pressure cooker/ Instant pot or microwave them till done (mentioned above in Preparations for potato).
2. Use a thick glass to smash them lightly.
3. Preheat air fryer to 400 F or 200 C for 4 minutes.
4. Lay the smashed potatoes in a single layer and air fry for about 7 minutes.
Brush with spiced olive oil or butter and air fry for a further 3 minutes till they are crispy and delicious.
5. Take them out and brush once more with the butter or oil spice mix to enhance the flavour.
This is how to make smashed potatoes in air fryer.
6. Serve hot with a dip or have them as is.
Yes, you can use any potatoes like Russet, Yukon gold, red potatoes or even baby potatoes.
Yes, you can use garlic powder, pepper, thyme, rosemary or fresh herbs like chopped parsley or cilantro as per your choice to the potato.
Pick out one smashed potato and check. They should be crispy outside and fluffy inside.
Yes, you can easily double or triple the recipe. You will need to cook smashed potatoes in multiple batches in the air fryer.
Yes, you can make them ahead of time and then reheat them in air fryer before serving.
Here's the recipe card:
📖 Recipe Card
Smashed Potatoes in Air fryer
- 1 lb. potatoes or 500 gm.
- Miicrowave potatoes on high for 8-10 minutes till cooked.
Boiling potatoes in Instant Pot
- In Instant Pot, steam 4 potatoes for 9 minutes at full pressure after adding 1 cup water in the IP. After it beeps, let the pressure release naturally.
- Use a thick glass to smash them lightly.
- Preheat air fryer to 400 F or 200 C for 4 minutes.
- Lay the smashed potatoes in a single layer and air fry for about 7 minutes. Brush with spiced olive oil or butter and air fry for a further 3 minutes till they are crispy and delicious.
- Take them out and brush once more with the butter or oil spice mix to enhance the flavour.
- Serve hot with a dip or have them as is.
2. Any potatoes (red, golden) work well for this recipe.
3. Microwave the potatoes for about 8-10 minutes till they seem mostly done.
4. Or you can cook them in Instant pot or pressure cook till done but not mushy.
5. Use olive oil for vegan and dairy free recipe.
6. For oil free recipe, make a paste of spices in a little water (or lemon juice) and brush on the potatoes when a couple of minutes of air frying time is left.
7. You can also cook the potatoes in air fryer by doing them for about 12-14 minutes at 400 F. This is prior to the smashing and air frying.
If you liked the recipe, I request you to leave a star * rating. Thank you.