These frozen tater tots in air fryer are done to crunchy and delicious in no time. No need to deep fry and much faster than oven baking, this is a perfect snack.
There is something very comforting about potatoes. Tater tots are my favorite and those of my kids too.
Most times I make them from scratch but once in a while I do them straight from the freezer.
It is so easy to air fry them and I use no extra oil from what they already have. Really quick and easy recipe.
What are Tater Tots?
Tater tots are potato nuggets or potato bites that are crunchy and golden outside and soft inside.
They are made by grating boiled potato, mixing with seasonings of your choice like garlic powder, pepper, cayenne or paprika and salt. Mix well and form nuggets of similar size.
Then deep fry or bake in the oven.
But these days I only air fry them.
What to serve them with?
1. We love to have them as is.
1. These frozen tater tots are naturally vegan and vegetarian.
I used spicy McCain tater tots. You can use any brand. They all come out the same. Mine already were seasoned with spices, salt and oil and hence needed no other embellishment.
Preheat the air fryer at 390 F or 200 C for 3 minutes.
Take frozen tater tots in the air fryer basket and air fry at 390 F for 10 minutes. Shake the basket a few times in the middle for even cooking.
Keep an eye to check that the tots are done to a nice golden brown that is crispy.
Your crispy tater tots in air fryer are done. Enjoy them with ketchup or a dip of choice.
Here's the recipe card:
Tater Tots in Air fryer
- 16 oz. tater tots or 450 gm.
- Preheat the air fryer at 390 F or 200 C for 3 minutes.
- Cut the packet of frozen tater tots and put in the entire bag into the air fryer basket.
- Air fry at 390 F for 6 minutes. Shake the basket once in the middle. Check how they are doing.
- I generally need about 4 minutes more at 390 F for crunchy outside and nice golden brown color. I pick out one and check for doneness.
- Keep shaking the basket at 3-4 minutes intervals to ensure even cooking.
- Your tater tots are done. They taste very close to deep fried minus the oil. So good. Serve them with your favorite dips or toppings.
2. To make tater tots from scratch take 1 lb. boiled potatoes. Add 1 tsp. each pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and ½ tsp. cayenne or paprika (optional) with salt. Mix well. Form nugget shape and air fry after coating with oil. You can also freeze these to make later.
3. Keep an eye on your tots when air frying and shake the basket once every 3 minutes for even cooking. Mine normally take about 10 minutes at 390 F after preheating.
4. These are naturally vegan and vegetarian. They make for a delicious snack or side.
5. Have them hot straight after air frying.
6. You do not need to thaw the tots before cooking them.
If you liked the recipe, I request you to give it a star * rating. Thanks.