These frozen tater tots in air fryer are done to crunchy and delicious in no time. No need to deep fry and much faster than oven baking, this is a perfect snack.
There is something very comforting about potatoes. Tater tots are my favorite and those of my kids too.
Most times I make them from scratch but once in a while I do them straight from the freezer.
It is so easy to air fry tater tots and I use no extra oil from what they already have. Really quick and easy recipe.
What are Tater Tots?
Tater tots are potato nuggets or potato bites that are crunchy and golden outside and soft inside.
They are made by grating boiled potato, mixing with seasonings of your choice like garlic powder, pepper, cayenne or paprika and salt.
Mix well and form nuggets of similar size.
Then deep fry or bake in the oven.
But these days I only air fry them.
Pack of Frozen Tater tots: Ore Ida Tater tots are very popular though any brand will do. I have used McCain ones here.
Olive oil spray (optional): To spray the basket and tater tots.
How to Serve
1. We love to have them as is.
If you are vegan or vegetarian, pair with vegetarian protein sides.
3. I love having them with ketchup but feel free to have them with any dips of choice.
1. These frozen tater tots are naturally vegan and vegetarian.
I used spicy McCain tater tots. You can use any brand. A popular brand is Ore Ida tater tots. They all come out the same.
Mine already were seasoned with spices, salt and oil and hence needed no other embellishment.
Preheat the air fryer at 390 F or 200 C for 3 minutes.
Take frozen tater tots in air fryer basket and air fry at 390 F or 200C for 10 -12 minutes.
Shake the basket a few times in the middle for even cooking.
Keep an eye to check that the tots are done to a nice golden brown that is crispy.
Your extra crispy tater tots in air fryer are done.
Enjoy them with ketchup or a dip of choice.
How to Reheat Tater Tots in Air fryer
It is super easy to reheat leftover tater tots to crispy and delicious.
Store leftover tater tots in an air tight container for a day or two.
When you want to have them, preheat air fryer at 360F or 180C for 4 minutes.
Lay leftover tater tots and air fry them at 360F or 180C for 3-4 minutes till they are heated through and crunchy outside.
Remember, we just wish to heat them through not cook them.
Take them out, serve hot and enjoy!
Here's the recipe card:
📖 Recipe Card
Tater Tots in Air fryer
- 16 oz. tater tots or 450 gm.
Air fry Frozen Tater Tots
- Preheat the air fryer at 390 F or 200 C for 3 minutes.
- For cooking frozen tater tots, put in the entire bag into the air fryer basket.
- Air fry at 390 F or 200C for 6 minutes. Shake the basket once in the middle. Check how they are doing.
- I generally need about 4 minutes more at 390 F for crunchy outside and nice golden brown color. I pick out one and check for doneness.
- Keep shaking the basket at 3-4 minutes intervals to ensure even cooking.
- Your tater tots are done. They taste very close to deep fried minus the oil. So good. Serve them with your favorite dips or toppings.
2. To cook tater tots from scratch take 1 lb. boiled potatoes. Add ½ tsp. pepper, ¾ tsp. garlic powder, ½ tsp. onion powder and ½ tsp. cayenne or paprika (optional) with salt. Mix well. Form nugget shape and air fry after coating with oil. You can also freeze these to make later.
3. Keep an eye on your tots when air frying and shake the basket once every 3 minutes for even cooking. Mine normally take about 10 minutes at 390 F after preheating.
4. These are naturally vegan and vegetarian. They make for a delicious snack or side.
5. Have them hot straight after air frying.
6. You do not need to thaw the tots before cooking them.
If you liked the recipe, I request you to give it a star * rating. Thanks.