I love pickled vegetables especially beet pickles and pickled onions. They go really well as an accompaniment to your food.
They also taste great in wraps and sandwiches just like gherkins or pickled jalapenos.
I also love this pickled celery in salads and wraps.
Here, I am sharing the recipe for quick pickled beets. I used the exact same method for pickling carrots too.
It adds a tart, spicy hint to veggies that is delectable.
This pickled beetroot can be easily kept in the fridge for a couple of weeks.
The taste matures as you keep longer.
Beets: Choose fresh beets. Peel them and slice them into cubes, cubes or slices for pickling.
Vinegar: I have used apple cider vinegar here.
But the plain white vinegar or balsamic vinegar also works well.
Spices: You can whole spices like peppercorns, bay leaf, whole coriander seeds here.
You can also use fresh herbs like chopped dill.
I have used cayenne, pink salt, salt and sugar for flavor here.
Variations and Substitutions
Different Vinegar: I have used white vinegar but for a different flavour you can use apple cider vinegar or red wine vinegar.
No sugar: While a little sugar is used to balance the tartness in this recipe, you can avoid it.
Or use any other sweetener of choice like agave syrup, maple syrup or honey.
Spices: Add a cinnamon stick, cloves, bay leaf or dill seeds for a different version.
More Veggies: Mix in other vegetables like carrots or turnips for a tasty pickle.
More Heat: For a spicy touch, add a sliced jalapeño or some chilli flakes.
Different salt: I enjoy adding black or Himalayan salt for a more earthy taste.
How to Make Pickle Beetroot with Vinegar
Peel beetroot. Cut it into batons. Make sure to cut them into uniform size.
You can also slice them or cut into smaller cubes.
Mix together vinegar, water with salt, pink salt and sugar.
Mix it well till the sugar dissolves.
You can also alternatively heat water. Add salt and sugar and heat till sugar dissolves.
Turn off the gas and then add vinegar. Your pickling liquid is now ready.
Add pickling liquid along with whole spices to the beet batons.
Make sure that your pickling liquid fully submerges the beet batons.
Keep the pickle in a clean, sterilized glass jar. I have used a mason jar here. Close the lid well.
Refrigerate for a couple of hours. Your pickle is ready to eat.
The flavor gets deeper as you keep for more time.
1. Side: These pickled beets go very well as a side to any meal.
2. In salads: I love the burst of flavor and color these pickled beets provide in any salad.
They are crunchy too.
3. In sandwiches, tacos or wraps: Pickles bring the much needed tart and crunch to any sandwiches, tacos or wraps.
1. This recipe is how to make pickled beetroot with vinegar easily at home.
Cut beets in similar shape.
2. You can add vinegar solution to beets and leave them in the fridge for 6-8 hours for refrigerator pickled beets.
3. Add any herbs or spices of choice.
You can add a few cloves of garlic, some peppercorn or chopped dill to the pickles for enhanced flavor.
4. You can try other vinegars like apple cider vinegar or balsamic vinegar.
The taste will be slightly different.
5. Do not keep these pickles for too long.
I generally make smaller batches that get over within two weeks to a month.
The tart flavor deepens as time progresses.
6. This easy pickled beets is a perfect recipe to try for even novices.
7. You can make pickled carrots using the same recipe.
I find beetroots not very tasty as salad hence I prefer to consume them in this manner which makes them tastier.
Let me know if you try this recipe.
I also request you to leave a star rating for this.
Here's the recipe card:
📖 Recipe Card
Pickled Beets Recipe
- 2 beetroot peeled and cut into strips or cubes
- ½ cup vinegar
- ½ tsp. Himalayan pink salt
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. cayenne or chilli flakes optional
- ½ tsp. sugar to balance out the tartness
- 1 tsp. chopped dill optional
- 1 tsp. peppercorns
- ½ cup water
- Peel beetroot. Cut them into batons or cubes. Take beetroot strips in a bowl.
- To prepare the pickling liquid, mix together, vinegar, water, salt, pink salt and sugar. Mix well till sugar dissolves.
- You may also heat water. Add salt and sugar and heat till it dissolves. Then turn off heat. Add vinegar to it. Your pickling liquid is ready.
- Take beet batons in a bowl. Add pickling liquid along with peppercorns and cayenne (optional) to the bowl.
- Keep them soaked for 2-3 hours in fridge. Pickled beet is ready to be consumed.
- You can also refrigerate after placing in a clean, sterilized jar along with an air tight cap and consume after 6-8 hours.
If you liked this recipe, I request you to leave a star * rating. Thanks.