Pickled Jalapenos are a favourite at home. I love them in sandwiches, wraps or just as a side to perk up any dull meal. Its tantalizing heat along with a sharp tartness and sweetness are a delight on the palate. Buying them from the supermarket is at least 5 times more expensive than making them at home. Really! And it's so simple that you'll wonder why you were not making them till now.
These jalapenos I picked up at the Sunday Farmer's Market in Kodaikanal. A roadside vendor was selling them and I got 250 gms. for just Rs. 20. Imagine!
This is my easy, foolproof recipe of pickled jalapenos that you absolutely must try.
Easy Homemade Pickled Jalapenos
- 250 gms. fresh jalapenos chopped into roundels
- 150 ml. white vinegar
- 150 ml. water
- 3 tbsp. sugar
- 1.5 tbsp. sea salt/normal salt
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- Mix the vinegar and water and put them in a pan to boil.
- Add in the crushed garlic cloves, salt and sugar and heat till they are dissolved and the mix just comes to a boil.
- Now switch off the gas and add the jalapeno pieces. Cover and keep for about 10 minutes. Cool it.
- Take a sterilized bottle/jar and transfer the jalapeno pieces that start taking on the pea green colour from a fresh green colour. Top with all the pickling liquid. You can pop it in the fridge and use jalapenos as and when needed.
- The jalapenos are ready to eat after 30 minutes of pickling time.
- Easy peasy.
This is unbelievably simple and saves you a lot of money. I just wish that I had bought more jalapenos to prepare more batches. Sigh!
Washed, dried and chopped jalapenos cut in roundels
Jalapenos added to pickling liquid and immersed for about 10-15 minutes.
Pickled jalapenos transferred to sterilized jar. See how some of them are still changing colour to the pea green colour that we all recognize.
Jalapenos with pickling liquid in the jar ready to be used or stored in the fridge.
Do share if you liked the recipe and I'd love to hear if you tried it.