Methi thepla or methi paratha is a favourite of mine and is made regularly at home. When I was in my second year of MBA, I lived as a paying guest with a very affectionate Gujarati lady in Bombay who made some delectable food. Most of my friends in MBA class were also Gujarati and I got the taste of the best of their cuisine in their homes. Hence, I have a special spot for Gujarati food. Methi thepla is a great dish to carry with you for excursions or trips as it does not spoil even at room temperature for 2-3 days. Have it with a curry, curd or just pickle, it is delicious.
Here is my methi thepla recipe for you:
Methi Thepla | Methi Paratha Recipe
- 1.5 cup wholewheat flour
- ¼ cup besan gram flour
- ¼ cup bajra pearl millet flour
- 1 cup methi leaves fenugreek leaves without stems
- 1 tsp. turmeric powder
- 1 tsp. chilli powder
- 1 tbsp. coriander powder
- 1 tsp. cumin powder
- ½ tsp. ajwain carom seeds
- 2 tbsp. ginger garlic paste
- 2 green chillies finely chopped
- ½ cup curd
- salt to taste
- Oil to roast
- Mix the wholewheat, besan and bajra flours together.
- Add in the methi leaves, all the spices, ginger-garlic paste, chopped chillies and salt and mix well. Now knead a soft dough using curd. Add water only if needed. Pour a tbsp. of oil on the dough, knead it and cover it.
- Keep the dough aside for about 15 minutes.
- Now, roll out the dough to form a disc. Roast it on tava/griddle using a little oil on both sides. Cook till brown spots appear. Serve hot or at room temperature with chutney or pickle or with a curry as per your taste. Enjoy. It’s really tasty and very nutritious as well. Works very well in the children’s lunchboxes too.
- The thepla dough will keep in the fridge for 4-5 days.
- You can skip the curd but it helps to reduce the bitterness of methi leaves.
- Use only the leaves and avoid the stalks.
This was my simple recipe of how to make methi thepla. This methi paratha recipe is perfect as a snack at tea time too.
If you liked this methi ka paratha recipe, then do share it with your friends.