Beetroot cutlet or tikkis are a delicious snack. Shallow frying or air frying them uses less oil and make them even healthier.
I also love making aloo tikki or potato patties.
Beetroot cutlet or tikki could be a nice replacement for aloo tikkis and look absolutely delightful due to their pretty pink colour.
My husband who is not too fond of beetroot, relishes these.
And the good part is that you can make your tikki chaat or burger using this patty. It is perfect for evening snack as well.
Adding soya granules or mashed tofu/paneer (optional) helps in making it high in vegetarian protein as well.
You may also like
- Beetroot: I have used one boiled and grated beetroot. You can also use some grated carrot as well.
- Potatoes: These provide form to the beetroot cutlet or patty.
- Oat flour: I have used oat flour to help bind the patty and also give it a crunchy feel.
- Spices: Minced ginger garlic green chilli, along with spices give it its delicious taste.
- Oil: This is used only for brushing the patties during air frying. For shallow frying more oil is needed.
- This recipe is already both vegan and vegetarian.
- You can increase the protein content by adding boiled soy granules or mashed tofu to the patty. If you are vegetarian you can use mashed paneer or cottage cheese.
- This recipe is zero oil and uses oil only for brushing the patty. If you wish you can skip brushing the patties too.
- You can use sweet potatoes in place of regular potatoes here.
- Spices can be adjusted as per taste.
Here is how to make healthy Indian beetroot cutlet:
Grate boiled beetroot and carrot (if using) and keep aside.
Squeeze them to take out any extra moisture. This is important to ensure that the patties don't get too wet.
In a pan, mix together grated beetroot and carrot with cilantro leaves, ginger garlic and minced chilli.
Add mashed or grated potatoes and powdered oats along with garam masala, pepper, salt, cayenne and chaat masala (or lemon juice).
Boil soy granules (if using) in hot water for about 10 minutes or till they are soft.
Squeeze out the water and keep aside. Add to the mixture.
You could also add mashed tofu or paneer here.
Mix everything together. If your mixture is still wet, you can add more oat flour or breadcrumbs.
I did not need to.
Make round patties with your hands.
For Air frying
Preheat Air fryer for 4 minutes at 360 F or 180 C.
Put in the tikkis on on the air fryer basket.
Air fry for about 10 minutes at 180C or 360F.
Flip the tikkis midway during air frying.
If you want a golden brown colour, then lightly brush with oil else you can make these oil free too.
Take it out and serve hot.
For shallow frying
Take 2-3 tbsp. of oil in a non-stick pan or skillet.
Now shallow fry the patties on each side till they get a nice golden coating.
Here's the recipe card:
Beetroot Tikki | How to make beetroot cutlet
- 2 potatoes boiled and grated or mashed
- 1 beetroot boiled and grated
- 1 carrot carrot boiled and grated optional
- 2 tsp. ginger garlic green chilli finely minced
- 1 tsp. chaat masala or use 1 tsp. lemon juice
- ½ tsp. cayenne
- ½ teaspoon garam masala powder
- ½ cup oats powdered
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- 2 tbsp. oil only for shallow frying
- 1 tsp. cilantro chopped
- ½ cup soy granules or chunks or use mashed paneer/tofu optional
- Salt to taste
- Grate boiled beetroot and carrot (optional) and keep aside.
- Squeeze them well to remove any water. Peel and grate potatoes and keep aside.
- In a pan, mix together grated beetroot and carrot with cilantro , ginger garlic and chilli grated.
- Add mashed or grated potatoes and powdered oats along with garam masala and other spices. Mix well.
- If using soy granules, mashed tofu or paneer, add here.
- Only if the mixture is still wet, add more oat flour or breadcrumbs. Form round patties using your hands.
For shallow frying
- Now shallow fry the patties on each side till they get a nice golden coating.
For Air frying
- Preheat Air fryer for 4 minutes at 360 F or 180 C.
- Put in the tikkis on the air fryer basket and air fry for about 10 minutes at 360F or 180C.
- Flip the tikkis once midway.
- If you want a golden brown colour, then lightly brush with oil else you can make these oil free too.
- Serve hot with dip of choice. Enjoy.
If you liked this recipe, I request you to leave a star * rating. Thanks.