Aloo methi is soul food. Very simple and made with just a few ingredients, it is perfect with rotis or parathas. It is a regular in my home and is a favourite of the husband. If you are a novice cook, this is the foolproof recipe that you will not go wrong with.
Here is my recipe:
📖 Recipe Card
Aloo Methi Recipe | Potato with Fenugreek Leaves
- 250 gm. fresh fenugreek leaves
- 3-4 large potatoes chopped into cubes
- 3-4 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1 tsp. red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon amchur dry mango powder optional
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp. oil
- Pluck the fresh fenugreek leaves and discard stalks.
- Wash them well till there is no grit on them. Strain out all the water.
- Now chop them fine. Don't make a paste though.
- Take oil in a kadhai/wok and heat it.
- Add cumin seeds and chopped garlic and cook for about a minute. Don't let the garlic burn.
- Now add the chopped potatoes and mix well to coat with oil.
- Cover and cook for about 4-5 minutes on low flame till they are nicely browned on all sides and half cooked.
- Now add the chilli powder and salt and mix well.
- Add the fenugreek leaves and mix well.
- Cover and cook till the leaves have wilted and released water. Takes about 3-4 minutes.
- Now cook uncovered and allow all the water to evaporate. Your potatoes should be cooked by now.
- This is a dry sabzi and no water must remain.
- You can add your amchur powder now and stir well. Cook for one more minute.
- Your methi aloo is ready to serve.
This is a really simple recipe. Serve it with some dal tadka and rotis for a satisfying meal.
If you like methi or fenugreek leaves, do also try my methi theplas or parathas recipe.
Do also subscribe to my food channel for some easy recipe videos.