Dal or lentils are a staple in Indian diet. Most of us consume a variety of lentils daily. It is a large component of protein in Indian vegetarian diet. And in most homes, it is like soul food. Hot and heartwarming when served with plain boiled rice or even chapatis. Technically all dals are dal tadka. Tadka means tempering, and dals are always tempered before serving. But, this Punjabi dal tadka recipe is the simplest yellow dal tadka that is made in most homes and served in restaurants.
This dal tadka dhaba style recipe does not take more than 30 minutes to serve and hence is made regularly at my home. You can make tuar/arhar dal (pigeon peas), masoor dal (split red lentil), moong dal (split green gram) or a combination of these dals for making your tasty dal tadka recipe.
Here's my really easy Punjabi dal tadka recipe:
Punjabi Dal Tadka Dhaba style
- 1 cup pigeon peas tuar dal
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 1 inch ginger finely chopped
- 2 green chillies chopped
- 1 tomato chopped
- ½ tsp. turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
For the tempering:
- Some chopped coriander
- Lemon juice
- Pressure cook the lentils with green chillies, ginger, onion and tomatoes till mushy. It takes about 15 minutes. You can also cook this in a pan, but it will take longer. To expedite, you can soak the lentils for about an hour before cooking. Cool, mash with the ladle and keep aside.
- Now to prepare the tempering keep all the ingredients at hand. Heat a pan. Add ghee. When it melts, add cumin and allow it to sputter. Add garlic, dry red chillies and asafoetida in quick succession. Now add in chilly powder. Take special care not to burn the tempering. Now tip in the prepared dal (lentils). Mix well and simmer on low heat for 2-3 minutes. Add some water if it is very thick.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and lemon juice and serve hot with boiled rice. You can also have it as a soup if you so desire. Your dal tadka is ready to serve.
- You may use a combination of lentils eg. pigeon peas with red lentils or split green gram with red lentils. All are equally tasty.
- You can also serve this dal as a soup. It is quite delicious.
- You may substitute ghee with butter.
This Punjabi dal tadka is simple homemade goodness on a plate. It tastes just like the smoky dal tadka you get in restaurants.
If you liked the recipe, do give a * star rating either on the recipe or when you comment. Thank you.
You may also like: Pachmel Dal Recipe
If you liked this post, please give it a star * rating. Thanks.
This is a post for the #AtoZChallenge all of April. I will be sharing easy recipes, tips and tricks related to food all this month. Do stay tuned in.