Sabudana khichdi is a delicious breakfast or snack that is especially made for fast during Navratri or Janmashtami.
This is both on stove top as well as Air fryer. It is a tasty breakfast or light meal.
You will love sabudana vada too.
Sabudana khichdi was made at my home by mum when she was fasting during the navratras.
While none of us fasted, we eagerly looked forward to the vrat or diet fare which was innovative and quite delicious.
So whether it was singhade ke aate ki pooris, fried aloo chips with sendha namak or sabudana khichdi, it was all very delicious.
Even though I never fast during Navratri or actually follow any special diet, I wanted to make this sabudana khichdi for breakfast yesterday.
All the planning that one needs to do is in soaking the sabudana or sago pearls. The rest of the recipe is quite simple.
Pro Tip: So, I soak the sabudana overnight. I use medium pearls, wash them once and then soak them in water just adequate to cover the sabudana.
It must be completely immersed in water and just below the level of water. If you add a lot of water, your sabudana will be sticky and soggy.
So do remember to keep the water level not too high let them soak overnight. In the morning, your sabudana will have absorbed all the water and have fluffed up.
You will not need to drain any water or maybe just a little water to drain. Just fluff them a bit. Now, they are ready to cook with.
Air fryer Recipe:
This recipe can also be made in Air fryer and turns out surprisingly good.
I have shared the instructions in the recipe card.
Here is the video of the recipe:
So here is the recipe:
📖 Recipe Card
Sabudana Khichdi Recipe | How to Make Sabudana Khichdi
- 1 cup sabudana sago pearls soaked and drained
- 2 potatoes boiled and chopped
- 3-4 green chillies split and chopped
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 tsp. ginger grated optional
- black salt You can use normal salt as well
- ½ tsp. sugar optional
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- cilantro for garnish
- 2 tsp. Oil
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 2 tbsp. peanuts you can crush them if you like
For stove top
- Drain the sabudana pearls if you have any leftover water after soaking. I don't need to. Check that they are squishy. If they are not, then you need to soak them for some more time. Add black salt and sugar to the drained sabudana and mix well.
- Heat 2 tbsp. oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds and allow to sputter.
- Add raw peanuts along with grated ginger, curry leaves and slit green chillies. Cook till peanuts are golden brown.
- Add boiled and chopped potatoes and fry for about 2 minutes.
- Now add the sabudana pearls and mix well.
- Cover and cook on a lowest flame for about 5- 10 minutes. You should not need to add any water but if your sabudana is looking too dry, just sprinkle some. Don't use too much or your sabudana will start sticking to each other and you don't want a sticky mass.
- Taste and check for salt. Add more if needed and mix well.
- If you have soaked the sabudana correctly then the pearls will stay separate and will not stick to one another.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and lemon juice. Serve hot.
For Air frying
- Preheat Air fryer at 180 C or 360 F for 4 minutes. Take 2 tbsp. peanuts and 1 tsp. cumin seeds in a container. Air fry for 4 minutes.
- In a bowl take soaked and drained sabudana. They should be squishly when pressed. Add black salt, sugar, boiled and chopped potato, chopped green chillies, curry leaves, chopped ginger and 2 tsp. oil. Mix well.
- Add this to the air fryer container. Air fry at 360 F or 180 C for 8 minutes more or till done. Mix around once in the middle.
- Garnish with coriander and lemon juice. Serve hot. Your fluffy non-sticky sabudana khichdi is ready to serve.
It is quite filling as well. Try this sabudana khichdi recipe and let me know how it turned out.
If you like this recipe, I request you to leave a star rating.