Sabudana vada is a delicious Indian snack that is made with sago or tapioca pearls. It is a wonderful snack. I make it low oil in air fryer.
I call it the fried version of sabudana khichdi which is another favourite at home. It has the same ingredients but is deep fried and really tasty.
Oh, but not really if you make it in the Air fryer like I do. All the taste without the calories. I have shared both the methods here.
- Use sweet potato in place of potato.
- This recipe is vegan. Use oil in place of ghee.
- You can skip green chillies and use pepper in its place if you so like.
Here is how to make sabudana vada in Air fryer:
Sabudana vada Recipe | How to Make Sabudana Vada
- 1 cup sabudana or tapioca pearls soaked for 6 hours
- 3 potatoes medium boiled and mashed
- ½ cup peanuts roasted and coarsely pounded
- 2 tsp. ginger-chilli crushed
- 1 tsp. salt or pink salt if fasting
- 2 tbsp. cilantro leaves chopped
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- ½ tsp. sugar optional
- 1 tsp. oil or ghee for brushing
- Soak sabudana or tapioca pearls for 6 hours or overnight in water just above the surface of sabudana after giving it a wash. This is to ensure that the tapioca pearls soak well and do not get mushy on cooking.
- Now drain any remaining water after soaking. Sabudana would have fluffed up and must be soft when squished. If not, soak it for more time.
- Mash the boiled potatoes. Roast peanuts and coarsely pound them.
- Mix together potato mash with sabudana, coarsely pounded peanuts, ginger-chilli crushed, cumin seeds, pink salt (or regular salt) and sugar (if using). Add lemon juice and mix everything together.
- Now using your hand form flat round or rectangular vadas.
For Air frying
- Preheat air fryer to 390 F or 200 C for 4 minutes. Lightly brush the basket with oil. Arrange the sabudana vadas and air fry.
- Fry for about 12-14 minutes. Flip the patties if you want in the middle.
- Lightly brush with oil or ghee midway.
- Once they are golden brown and crunchy on the outside, they are ready to eat. Serve hot with ketchup, mayo, green chutney or any dip of your choice.
For Deep frying
- Heat vegetable oil and bring it to medium heat.
- Drop vadas one by one so that they become dark golden brown on the outside and cooked inside.
- It takes about 5-7 minutes for one batch of 5-6 vadas.
- Now drain them on absorbent paper and serve hot with ketchup or chutney. Your delicious sabudana vada is ready to serve.
- Do check out the video for better understanding.
- Only well soaked and soft sabudana or tapioca pearls should be used to make vadas.
- Making these in the Air fryer does not impact the taste in any way. They are super crunchy and delicious. But they are soft inside.
- You can use normal salt if not making it for fasting. I like the taste of pink salt anyway.
- Making the vadas cylindrical helps in cooking more of them in the air fryer at one go.
- I roast the peanuts for this recipe in the air fryer as well. Just air fry 2 cups raw peanuts at 200 C or 390 F for 6-7 minutes till well roasted.
- Do check the video for better understanding.
Mash potatoes. Add coarsely pounded peanuts, crushed ginger and green chillies, pink salt, sugar, lemon juice and cumin seeds.
Add soaked and drained sabudana along with chopped cilantro leaves.
Now form flat patties or vadas with your hands.
For Air frying:
Preheat air fryer to 390 F or 200 C. Lightly brush the basket with oil. Fry for about 12-14 minutes. Flip the patties once in the middle if you want.
Also you can lightly brush with oil midway.
Once they are golden brown and crunchy on the outside, they are ready to eat.
Serve hot with ketchup, mayo, green chutney or any dip of your choice.
For Deep frying:
Deep fry them in hot oil.
Hot sabudana vadas are ready to serve.
Do share with your friends. If you liked the recipe, please give it a star * rating.
You May Also Like