This delicious kurkuri bhindi is crisp air fryer okra recipe that is a great side. The coating is made with chickpea flour and Indian spices.
Traditionally, it is made deep fried. This air fryer version is healthy and equally delicious.
Bhindi or okra is cooked regularly in Indian cuisine and is a favorite in my home. You can try this bhindi masala in air fryer or skillet.
It is a among popular Indian air fryer recipes.
This is my recipe of kurkuri bhindi without frying. Though, if you wish to deep fry, just use the same recipe and instead of air fryer, deep fry it.
So why don't you give it a try?
Why You'll Love Crispy Air fryer Kurkuri Bhindi
1. So crispy: This crispy okra or kurkuri bhindi is so crispy and delightful. Just the perfect crunchy vegetable side.
2. Healthy snack: No need to deep fry and have a healthy vegan snack in no time. The recipe is quite simple too.
3. Easy recipe: The recipe is so easy. Needs a few spices, chickpea flour, oil and okra. Simple steps.
Variations and Substitutions
1. This is a vegan recipe that is also gluten free as we have used chickpea flour here. You can use cornstarch or all-purpose flour in case you don't have chickpea flour. Those are not gluten free though.
2. Mustard oil gives it a nice pungent taste. But feel free to use any oil of choice.
3. Play around with the spices depending upon what you have and like.
This is a perfect crispy snack with evening tea. Or serve it as a vegetable side.
Either way, it is delicious.
Wash and dry the okra. Cut them lengthwise into thin slivers and keep aside.
Mix all the dry masalas together along with chickpea flour or besan in a bowl.
Generously pour it over the cut okra and mix well to coat all of it.
Now pour the oil on top and mix again.
You will see that the spice has adhered to the okra after this marination time.
For Air fryer okra
Preheat your airfryer to 160 C or 320 F for 4 minutes. I have the Philips Airfryer.
Now brush oil on your air fryer basket and put in the marinated okra in it.
Air fry for about 8 minutes on 160 degrees.
Then increase the temperature to 180 C or 360 F and air fry for about 4-5 minutes till the bhindi is well cooked and crispy brown.
Take them out on a plate and rest for about 2 minutes.
Now serve your kurkuri bhindi.
They are delightfully crunchy, tasty and guilt free. A perfect spicy Indian okra recipe.
If you don't have an air fryer, just deep fry in hot oil.
1. Deep fry in hot oil if you don't have an Air fryer.
2. Cut okra in thin slivers to ensure fast and even cooking.
3. Vary the masalas as per your taste. Example if you like less heat, skip the cayenne and pepper or reduce their quantities.
4. It is important to cook the okra on lower temperature first so that they are cooked well and then crank up the temperature to brown them.
5. Keep turning the bhindi around in the Air fryer so that all of them get evenly cooked. Also don't overload your Air fryer or some bhindi will remain undercooked and others will just burn.
6. Frozen okra will not work in this recipe as that will release too moisture and will not allow the okra to crisp up.
📖 Recipe Card
Crispy Air fryer Okra Recipe | Indian Kurkuri Bhindi Recipe
- 2 cups okra or 250 gm. cut in thin slivers
- 1 tsp. coriander powder
- 1 tsp. roasted cumin powder
- ½ tsp. black salt optional
- 1 tsp. cayenne or chilli powder
- ½ tsp. black pepper powder optional
- ½ tsp. garam masala powder
- 1 tsp. amchur powder or dry mango powder
- ½ tsp. turmeric powder
- ½ tsp. carom seeds ajwain optional
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp. chickpea flour or besan
- 1.5 tbsp. oil
- Wash and dry the okra. Cut them lengthwise into thin slivers and keep aside.
- Mix all the dry masalas together along with chickpea flour. Generously pour it over the cut bhindi and mix well to coat all the bhindi. Now pour the oil on top and mix again.
- You will see that the masala has adhered to the bhindi after this marination time.
For Air fryer okra
- Preheat your air fryer to 160 C or 320 F for 6 minutes.
- Now brush oil on your air fryer basket and put in the masala bhindi in it. Air fry for about 8 minutes on 160 C or 320 F. Then increase the temperature to 180 C or 360 F and fry for about 4-5 minutes more till the bhindi are well cooked and crispy brown.
- Take them out on a plate and rest for about 2 minutes. Now serve your kurkuri bhindi. They are delightfully crunchy, tasty and guilt free.
- If you don't have an air fryer, just deep fry in hot oil.
Disclaimer: This post may include affiliate links. In case you buy using those links I earn a little commission at no extra cost to you. I only recommend products that I use personally and like. Do read my disclosure policy for complete information.
This Punjabi kurkuri bhindi without frying is super easy to make. Hope you give it a try and share with me how it turned out.
If you liked this recipe, I request you to give it a * star rating either on the recipe card or in the comments.
You May Also Like