Red sauce pasta recipe is a favourite in my home. My younger son cannot have enough of it. I make it pretty regularly. And I always make the red sauce or marinara sauce from scratch. Making pasta is very simple. It requires just a few ingredients but the key lies in using excellent quality of ingredients used and perfect cooking of the pasta.
This healthy pasta in red sauce is perfect for kids as well. And if you pack it in their lunchbox, they are sure to get requests from their classmates to try some. I tell you from experience.
So here's how to make the perfect pasta in marinara sauce:
Red Sauce Pasta Recipe | Pasta in marinara sauce
- 1 packet Italian pasta any shape 500 gm or 1 lb.
For the sauce
- 400 ml. Tomato puree canned or fresh or use canned whole tomatoes
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 yellow onion finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. Olive oil
- 1 tsp. black pepper coarsely ground fresh (optional)
- 1 cup vegetables broccoli, peppers, mushroom, zucchini
- 1 cup paneer or tofu optional about
- 1 tsp. dry oregano
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp. red or white wine optional
- ½ tsp. sugar optional
- Few Basil leaves
- 4 cubes parmesan cheese grated
- 1 tsp. red chilli flakes optional
- It is very important to cook the pasta correctly. Use a good quality pasta brand. Then cook as per instructions on the pack.
- Boil about 1.5 liters of water in a large pan. Add 2 tbsp. of salt. When it comes to a rolling boil, add the pasta.
- Keep cooking on medium heat till pasta is al dente or is almost cooked but has a bit of bite to it. Drain it and keep aside.
- Also keep a little bit of drained water which can be added to the sauce.
To make the Red Sauce or Marinara Sauce
- Make the sauce while you are boiling the pasta.
- Take olive oil in a pan. Add finely chopped onion and minced garlic and saute for a couple of minutes. Don't let them brown.
- Add tomato puree or crushed tomatoes and let it cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Now add your chopped veggies. I add the broccoli florets first as they take longer than the chopped peppers and mushroom. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Now add your tofu or paneer cubes. Cook for 2 minutes. Add salt and oregano. Mix well. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- If you are adding wine, add it at this stage. Cook for another 2 minutes.
- Now add the cooked pasta along with a few tbsp. of the boiled liquid.
- Mix well. Turn off the heat. Garnish with chopped and whole basil leaves and grated cheese along with red chilli flakes (if you like heat).
- Your pasta in red sauce is ready. Serve hot.
Let me know if you try the recipe. I promise you that this Red Sauce Pasta will become a regular feature on your weeknight lunches and dinners.
Do share if you like the post:
Do also try Spaghetti with Chicken MeatBalls and Pasta in Avocado Sauce as well.