Vermicelli or semiya look like fine noodles when cooked. They are often used to make seviyan kheer, the sweet made with milk and roasted vermicelli. Vermicelli upma or semiya upma is a savoury, nutritious dish that can be assembled quickly if you have cut, boiled vegetables at hand. You can use just about any veggies you like for eg. green beans, chopped carrots, peas, mushrooms, potato etc. I usually make this for breakfast and also pack in the kiddies lunch box. It tastes good even when cold.
Here is my semiya upma recipe:
This recipe makes 4 generous serves.
This is a delicious and quick breakfast recipe and tastes better than regular upma. It is also perfect for kids' lunchboxes as it tastes good even when at room temperature.
Semiya Upma | Vermicelli Upma
- 2 cups vermicelli dry roasted
- 2 cups chopped mixed vegetables beans, peas, carrots, mushroom
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 large tomato chopped
- 2-3 slit green chillies
- ½ tsp. turmeric powder
- salt to taste
For the tempering
- 2 tsp. oil
- 1 tsp. mustard seeds
- ½ tsp. cumin seeds
- 1 pinch asafoetida
- 2 sprigs curry leaves
- 1 tsp. urad/chana dal
- Lemon juice
- Coriander leaves
- In a pan/kadhai heat the oil. Add mustard seeds and cumin seeds and allow them to sputter. Now add in the urad/chana dal and asafoetida and fry for about a minute. Tip in the curry leaves and cook for a minute.
- Add in the onion and fry lightly till it is transparent. Add the tomato in now along with the slit green chillies and turmeric powder and fry for about a couple of minutes.
- Now add about 3 cups of water and let it come to a boil. Add the roasted vermicelli, boiled vegetables and salt. Mushroom does not need to be boiled.
- Mix and cover with a lid. Cook on low heat till the water is absorbed and the vermicelli is cooked well.
- Takes about 10 minutes. Take it off the heat. Taste and adjust salt. Sprinkle lemon juice and garnish with coriander. Serve hot.
Do tag #rachnacooks if you make this and share pictures. I would love to know if you tried out this easy semiyan upma recipe. Also request you to leave a rating for the recipe.
You may also like: