This vegan black eyed peas curry is satisfying and hearty. It pairs well with rice or rotis. Delicious curry.
Lobia or black eyed peas are legumes that are high in protein and vitamins.
Making a vegan black eyed peas curry is a simple yet delicious way of cooking it. This recipe is spicy. You can adjust the heat as per your taste.
This is a perfect recipe for any weekday or weeknight lunch or dinner.
It is perfect in the lunchbox as well.
Wash and soak 1 cup black eyed peas in water overnight or for 4 hours.
The beans will double or triple in size. Drain and keep aside.
Instant Pot Instructions
Blend together onion, garlic, ginger, green chillies, tomato and coconut to form a thick paste.
Heat Instant pot in saute mode. Add oil and heat. Add mustard seeds and allow to sputter. Add cumin seeds and let sputter.
Add whole spices cloves, pepper, cinnamon, bay leaf and cardamom and fry for 30 seconds.
Add the blended onion tomato coconut paste and mix well.
Cover with a glass lid and cook for 6 minutes on high in Saute mode.
Add turmeric, cayenne (if using), paprika or Kashmiri chilli powder, salt, coriander powder and sambar powder or garam masala powder and mix well.
Cook for a couple of minutes more on Saute mode.
Now add the drained black eyed peas along with 1.5 cups water.
Mix well and pressure cook for 8 minutes.
Let pressure release naturally for 10 minutes and then open the vault and release the remaining pressure.
Your black eyed peas curry is ready.
Add tamarind paste and cook for a minute more in Saute mode. Taste and season. Garnish with cilantro.
You can add more water if you want a thinner curry.
Serve hot with boiled rice and a salad on the side.
You can also make this recipe in a manual pressure cooker or in a pan on stove. Manual pressure cooker instructions are given on the recipe card.
Cooking time is reduced if you soak the beans before cooking. But if you don't have time to soak, a quick soak in hot water helps to soften them making cooking them faster.
Yes, the beans can get overcooked in which case they get mushy. It is better to cook them enough so that they still retain their form.
If soaking in cold water overnight is ideal. Else, 4 hours is enough. Soak 1 cup peas in 3 cups of water.
Here's the recipe card:
📖 Recipe Card
Black eyed Beans Curry | South Indian Lobia Curry
- 1 cup black eyed beans soaked for 4 hours or overnight
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 inch ginger
- 5 cloves garlic
- 2 green chillies
- 1 tomato chopped
- 2 tbsp. tamarind paste or tamarind water
- ½ coconut cut into thin slices
- ½ tsp. mustard seeds
- ½ tsp. cumin seeds
- 3 cloves
- 6 peppercorns
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 2 cardamom
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- ½ tsp. turmeric powder
- 1 tsp. garam masala powder or sambar powder
- 1 tsp. cayenne or paprika optional
- 1 tsp. coriander powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp. oil
- 1 tbsp. cilantro finely chopped
- Soak black eyed peas in sufficient water overnight or for 4 hours. Drain and keep aside.
Instant Pot Instructions
- Blend together onion, garlic, ginger, green chillies, tomato and coconut to form a thick paste.
- Heat Instant pot in saute mode. Heat oil. Add mustard seeds and allow to sputter. Add cumin seeds and let sputter. Add whole spices cloves, pepper, cinnamon, bay leaf and cardamom and fry for 30 seconds.
- Add the blended onion tomato coconut paste and mix well. Cover with a glass lid and cook for 4 minutes on Saute mode.
- Now add turmeric, cayenne (if using), salt, coriander powder and sambar powder or garam masala powder and mix well.
- Now add the drained black eyed peas along with 1.5 cups water. Mix well and pressure cook for 8 minutes and let it open via natural release of pressure.
- Your black eyed peas curry is ready. Add tamarind paste and cook for a minute more. Taste and season. Garnish with cilantro.
Stove Top Instructions
- In a wok, heat oil and add cumin seeds. Add bay leaf, cloves, cinnamon, peppercorn, cardamom, and curry leaves (optional). Cook for two minutes.
- Now add finely chopped onion and ginger garlic paste along with green chillies. Saute on low flame for 5-8 minutes while stirring. Add coconut slices or grated coconut. Cook for 5 minutes more.
- Now cool the mixture and blend to a smooth paste.
- Take a Manual Pressure cooker and add the blended paste along with drained black eyed peas. Add turmeric powder, cayenne (optional), coriander powder and salt. Cook for 4 whistles and release the pressure naturally.
- Your black eyed peas must be cooked and soft. Add tamarind paste and sambar powder (or garam masala powder). Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Garnish with cilantro. Your black eyed peas is ready to eat with rice or rotis.
- If you don’t have a pressure cooker, you can cook in a pan with lid. But the cooking time will increase. It may take 20-30 minutes for the peas to cook.
- Please adjust the chillies and cayenne as per your preference. This is a spicy curry but you can adjust it to your taste.
- Adding coconut gives a certain creaminess and body to the curry.
- Soaking the black eyed peas reduces their cooking time. If you don't soak the peas, you can pressure cook for 20 minutes in Instant Pot and about 8-10 whistles in manual pressure cooker.
If you liked the recipe, I request you to leave a star * rating. Thanks.
If you liked this recipe of Indian style Lobia curry, do share with your friends.