Phool makhana or lotus seeds (foxnuts) are extremely nutritious.They are a good source of protein, carbohydrates, fibre, magnesium, B vitamins, potassium, phosphorus, iron and zinc. They are popular as diet food due to their high fiber content and being low in calories. Roasted with a little ghee and some chat masala, makhana make for excellent snack. Here is an indulgent recipe of khoya matar makhana that is sinfully tasty.
Among all the phool makhana recipes I prepare, this one is the richest and most flavourful. It is mildly spicy and works for all palates. The family loves it. Here is the easy makhana recipe:
📖 Recipe Card
Khoya Matar Makhana Curry
- 2 cups phool makhana or foxnuts
- 1 cup shelled peas fresh or frozen and cooked
- 150 gm. khoya I get unsweetened Milky Mist one
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 2-3 large tomatoes finely chopped
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 4 cloves
- 1 bayleaf
- 8-10 black peppercorns
- 2-3 green cardamom
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 1 large tbsp. ginger-garlic paste
- 1 tbsp. garam masala
- 1 tbsp. coriander powder
- ½ tsp. turmeric powder
- 1 tsp. tsp. cumin powder
- 1 tsp. kasuri methi dried fenugreek leaves
- 1 tsp. sugar if using unsweetened khoya
- 1 tbsp. kashmiri red chilli powder
- 3 tbsp. ghee
- salt to taste
- Cream to garnish optional
- Take 1 tbsp. ghee in a kadhai or pan. Lightly brown the makhanas till they are well roasted. Don't let them burn.
- To prepare the curry, take 2 tbsp. ghee in a pan. Add cumin seeds and allow to sputter.
- Add chopped onions and saute for about 3-4 minutes till slightly browned. Now add the ginger-garlic paste and saute for about 5 minutes on low heat.
- Tip in the chopped tomatoes and cook for about 8-10 minutes till they become mushy.
- Add the turmeric powder, garam masala, coriander powder, cumin powder, kashmiri red chilli powder and mix well. Cook for 2 minutes more. Now cool this and blend to a fine paste in a blender.
- Take 1 tsp. ghee in the pan. Add bay leaf, cloves, peppercorns, cardamom and cinnamon and cook for one minute. Add this paste back into a pan. Add crumbled khoya to it. You can prepare khoya at home by evaporating milk. I prefer to use store-bought khoya to reduce time.
- Keep mixing on low heat till the khoya dissolves in the onion-ginger-garlic-tomato paste. Add some water to thin the curry and add salt. This khoya matar makhana curry is thickish in consistency.
- Now add the peas and makhanas and cook for 3-4 minutes on low heat with the cover on.
- Now add the sugar and kasuri methi. Mix well and taste. Adjust spices if needed.
- Garnish with cream and chopped coriander leaves and serve hot with naan, rotis, parathas or rice.
- Your delightfully tasty khoya matar makhana curry is ready to serve.
If you enjoyed this khoya matar makhana recipe, please share.
Do try out these other North Indian Recipes on Rachna cooks.
Do you want a FREE 4 week Lunchbox Planner with different daily lunch ideas along with BONUS Snack ideas, all healthy and wholesome with recipe links? Get it here.