I recently had Panang curry at an Oriental Restaurant and instantly fell in love with it. Panang Curry is also called Penang Curry and is a good variation of Thai Red Curry. I use the readymade Thai Red Curry Paste along with peanut butter to make a deliciously sublime coconut-based curry that is so tasty that you can keep having it.
Here's how to make panang curry:
📖 Recipe Card
Panang Curry Recipe
- 500 gms. prawns or chicken
- ½ cup stock seafood or chicken stock or water
- 2 tbsp. Thai red curry paste
- ½ tsp. turmeric powder
- 400 ml. coconut milk
- 1 tbsp. oil
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce or oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp. palm sugar or jaggery
- 3 tbsp. peanut butter
- 2 tbsp. toasted peanuts for garnish
- 1 green pepper chopped
- cilantro chopped for garnish
- salt to taste
- If using prawns, peel and devein the prawns. Use the heads and shells to make a stock. Keep aside. If making chicken panang curry, use 2 chicken breasts sliced.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add Thai red curry paste and tumeric and fry for a minute.
- Now add peanut butter and mix well. Cook for 2 minutes more.
- Add coconut milk, fish sauce, sugar and salt.
- Add the seafood or chicken stock or water along with chopped green pepper and cook the sauce well.
- Now add the prawns/chicken and cook for a couple of minutes more. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Garnish with roasted peanuts and coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with jasmine rice or any other boiled rice. Your Panang curry is ready to eat.
- You can make the same recipe with chicken or tofu
- You can add red chilli powder or sliced red chillies if you like it spicy.
- Prawn/chicken stock adds more depth of flavour but if you don't have it just use veg stock or water.
- You can use any vegetables in place of green pepper like red, yellow peppers, mushroom, zucchini, broccoli etc.
Do tag #rachnacooks if you make Panang curry and share pictures. I would love to know if you tried out this easy recipe.
Do you want a FREE 4 week Lunchbox Planner with different daily lunch ideas along with BONUS Snack ideas, all healthy and wholesome with recipe links? Get it here.