Methi matar malai is a decadent dish which is mildly spiced, rich and sinfully tasty. I don’t know who had thought of the combination of fresh fenugreek leaves with peas and cream in a rich curry, but whoever did really thought out the balance of ingredients well. This methi malai matar is ready in no time if you have the ingredients at hand. And since I am making recipes with matar or peas everyday, it was only natural for me to make it.
So here’s how to make methi matar malai recipe:
📖 Recipe Card
Methi Matar Malai Recipe
- 1 cup peas or matar boiled for 5 minutes
- 1 cup tender fenugreek leaves finely chopped
- 1 cup cream
- 3-4 tbsp. cashew powder
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. ginger and garlic chopped
- 2-3 green chillies as per taste
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp. oil
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- Salt to taste
- Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds and allow them to sputter. Now add chopped onion and chopped ginger and garlic. Saute for 5 minutes till they are lightly cooked. Add chopped green chillies and saute for 3 minutes more. Cool and blend to a paste.
- Take this paste in a pan. Add fresh fenugreek leaves and cook for about 3 minutes. Now add some water to thin down the curry. Add fresh cream along with cashew powder (or paste made with 3-4 tbsp. cashews) and green peas together. Your curry will instantly become thick and creamy. Add salt and sugar. Simmer on low heat for 5 minutes.
- Your methi matar malai is ready. Serve hot with rotis or rice.
- Use fresh fenugreek leaves only.
- You can use any cream. I used store bought cream.
- This recipe uses very mild spices and mostly lets the flavour of the ingredients shine through.
- Adjust the sugar used to balance the bitterness of methi or fenugreek leaves.
- You can thin down the curry if you don’t want it too thick.
- It is a rich curry so a small serve goes a long way.
Do try this methi malai matar recipe and let me know how you liked it.
If you liked the recipe, please share with your friends.