This spiced buttermilk is the perfect summer drink. It is hydrating and healthy. You can vary the spices as per your likes.
Summer is a crazy time when the heat makes you restless and also dehydrated. Summer is upon us.
Natural, summer coolers like chaas or buttermilk are just perfect to provide a nice cooling effect to the body. They also keep the body hydrated.
Mattha, chaas, chanch or spiced buttermilk is quite commonly consumed in India in summers.
No, it is not the same as the savoury lassi which is heavier. The one I make is made by diluting churned yoghurt.
It really is very simple to make, and you can keep some chilling in the fridge to consume at any time.
There is no perfect recipe as such. You can add and remove ingredients as per taste.
Here's the recipe card:
📖 Recipe Card
3 minute Spiced Buttermilk Recipe
- ½ Kg. fresh yoghurt
- a few springs coriander leaves finely chopped
- a few springs mint leaves finely chopped
- ½ tsp. black salt
- 1 tsp. salt or to taste
- ½ tsp. finely grated ginger
- 1 green chilli finely grated
- ½ tsp. powdered roasted cumin
- Chilled water to dilute
- Ice cubes
- Whisk the curd/yoghurt till smooth.
- Add all the ingredients to the yoghurt.
- Dilute with water. I prefer my buttermilk thin.
- Serve immediately. You could also refrigerate and serve later.
You may keep spiced buttermilk in the fridge and serve it next day as well.
It is a great drink that you can also serve with food or just have whenever you feel thirsty or are in a mood of having something refreshing.
Hope you try my recipe of spiced buttermilk and relish it this summer. If you like the recipe, do share it.