I love these air fried chicken drumsticks. They are crispy outside and so very moist inside.
A great KFC copycat recipe where no oil is used in the recipe, a perfect appetizer. The use of yogurt or buttermilk in the marinade makes the chicken very tender.
Air fryer fried chicken is a revelation to make at home -- unbelievably juicy and crunchy. You would not be able to tell that it is not deep fried.
And now I make this regularly at home. If you are a fan of fried chicken then you have to try this recipe.
Here is the simple recipe:
Do follow my tips and instructions to the T for the perfect crunch.
You May Also Like
Mix all marinade ingredients and marinate chicken drumsticks for 2-4 hours.
Assemble 3 shallow bowls -- ½ cup powdered cornflakes, ¾ cup breadcrumbs, mixed herbs, cayenne and salt in one bowl.
2 beaten eggs in second bowl and ½ cup wholewheat flour with salt and pepper in 3rd bowl.
For Air Frying
Preheat Air fryer at 160 C or 320 F for 6 minutes. Dunk marinated chicken drumsticks first in flour mix.
Dust off excess flour. Then dip in egg and then in the breadcrumb mixture. Repeat for all and keep aside.
Chicken drumsticks prepared and ready to go into Airfryer. Brush air fryer basket with oil.
Arrange the drumsticks and air fry at 160 C or 320 F for 15 minutes minutes. Turn them midway through the cook.
Now increase the temperature to 200 C or 390 F and cook further for 6 minutes for a golden crunch.
Take out and serve hot with dip or chutney.
If you liked this recipe, I request you to give a star * rating either on the recipe card or in the comments.
Do try this recipe and share with me if you make it.
I regularly cook chicken in the air fryer. A combination of cooking at low heat and then cooking at high heat at the end yields excellent results. The chicken gets well cooked, stays moist inside and crisps up nicely outside. You really get wonderful fried results without actual frying.
Air frying chicken helps in crisping up the chicken with a significant reduction in calories from oil. It is also healthier as it has none of the other adverse effects of deep frying.
Yes absolutely. You can try out my chicken tikka or tandoori chicken recipes where I have just used a yogurt marinade. It crisps up nicely even when air fried naked.
Here is the recipe card:
Crispy Chicken Drumsticks in Air fryer
- 1 lb. chicken drumsticks without skin or 500 gm.
For chicken marination
- 1 tbsp. ginger garlic paste or minced ginger and garlic
- 2 tbsp. Greek yogurt
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp. cayenne or tabasco sauce as per the heat you like
For flour mixture
- ½ cup wholewheat flour with salt and 1 tsp. pepper
- 2 eggs beaten
For outer coating
- ½ cup cornflakes
- ¾ cup breadcrumbs or powdered oats for gluten free
- 1 tsp. mixed herbs dried oregano and basil
- 1 tsp. cayenne as per taste
- To make the marinade, mix all the ingredients mentioned well. The marinade must be quite thick. Taste it to check for balance.
- Make some gashes in the deep parts of the drumsticks and massage them well all over with the marinade.
- Marinate them for 2-4 hours.
- Now take 3 shallow plates. Take seasoned flour in one shallow plate, beaten eggs in second plate.
- Take cornflakes in a ziplock bag and lightly crush with a rolling pin. I used Kellogg's plain cornflakes. Mix this with breadcrumbs. I make my own breadcrumbs by toasting 2 whole wheat bread slices and then making crumbs in a blender. Mix these two with mixed herbs (dried oregano and basil), cayenne and salt in third bowl
- Keep these ready.
For Air frying
- Preheat your Airfryer at 320 F or 160 C for 5 minutes. Brush the sides of the basket with oil.
- To coat drumsticks -- Use one hand as it tends to get dirty when dipping the chicken. Take the marinated chicken drumsticks and dunk them well in seasoned flour so that they are coated well. Now dust them lightly to remove excess flour.
- Next dip them in beaten egg mix. Your hands will get sticky now.
- Take them and rub them in cornflakes and breadcrumbs mix to get a nice thick coating. Keep them aside.
- Repeat this method till all drumsticks are ready coated.
- Put them in your airfryer basket and put it in the airfryer. My entire batch fitted at one go. Otherwise you can airfry in two batches.
- Airfry at 320 F or 160 C for 15 minutes. Open Airfryer half way at 8 minutes and turn the drumsticks once. Be careful while turning so as to not break the coating.
- After 15 minutes increase the temperature to 390 F or 200 C and airfry for 6 minutes more to get a nice golden brown colour.
- Your crispy Air fryer fried chicken drumsticks are ready to serve. Serve with onion rings, mint chutney, dip or good old ketchup. Enjoy it hot.
Do also share the post with your friends if you like the recipe. Pin it here:
Here is my review of Airfryer (not sponsored)
Get my FREE ebook Beginner's guide to Air fryer cooking here.