I make these banana chips in Air fryer with just 1 tsp. of oil and they taste truly amazing. They are gluten free and vegan.
Plantain or raw banana is a delightful vegetable to cook with. You can make patties or kebabs with it.
You can cook it as a vegetable or you can make crispy, crunchy chips with it.
Traditionally banana chips are fried in coconut oil and taste just amazing. But with a drive to eat healthy, I prefer not to deep fry any more.
You may also like: sweet potato chips, potato chips, beet chips, karela chips, yuca chips, zucchini chips, kale chips, all done in air fryer.
How to cook with plantains
Plantains are raw bananas and are used to make savoury foods. Choose green bananas as they are tender when cooked.
Peel off the skin and immerse the banana flesh in salted water. This is done to prevent discolouration of the plantain.
Slice, chop or mince and use in your cooking as needed.
Raw banana: These green skinned bananas or plantains are perfect for making banana chips. They should not be ripe.
Salt and turmeric: Basic turmeric powder and salt is used as seasoning for the chips. You can use other seasonings as well as mentioned in the next section.
Oil: A little oil is used to brush the chips to give them a golden yellow colour and also to help the seasonings to adhere to chips.
Seasonings to use
1. Turmeric and salt: This is the traditional flavour of Indian Kerala style banana chips.
They taste amazing with minimal seasoning.
2. Salt, cayenne and pepper: This gives a nice kick to the banana chips.
3. Lemon chilli: Use salt, lemon juice and cayenne for a delicious tang and spice.
4. Tangy chaat masala with cayenne: This spice mix is deliciously tangy and spicy.
5. Peri peri powder: My kids love peri peri seasoning on just about anything.
Sprinkle on your banana chips for a spice hit.
- The air frying time will vary depending upon the thickness of your chips. For my medium thick chips, I took exact 8 minutes. For even thinner chips, you may need about 6 minutes and for thicker ones slightly more.
- You can also use the same recipe to make plantain fries by cutting the plantain into batons. Cook it for about 15-18 minutes in Air fryer at 200 C or 390 F for crunchy fries.
- Use any of the spice mixes mentioned above the recipe as per your preference.
- You can store the chips in an airtight container. Before serving just Air fry for a couple of minutes to make them crispy again.
- You can use any other vegetable oil in place of coconut oil like olive oil or sunflower oil.
- Adding the spice mix to the oil and brushing with it helps the spices to adhere better to the chips. You could sprinkle them later as well.
- You can deep fry or oven bake the same chips as well.
Take nice green plantains. They should not be ripe.
Peel them and soak them in turmeric water and salt for about 10 minutes. Soaking them in salt helps prevent them from turning dark.
Dry the banana. Using a mandolin make fine chips with the banana or plantain.
Add spices to the coconut oil and brush the chips with them.
Preheat Air fryer to 200 C or 390 F for 5 minutes.
Lay down the chips so that there is minimal overlap.
Air fry for 8 minutes at 200C or 390F. Shake the basket once in the middle.
This is an easy way of dehydrating banana in air fryer.
This is how to air fry banana chips. Serve them hot.
This is a healthy vegan recipe that is also a wonderful snack.
Here's the recipe card:
📖 Recipe Card
Air Fryer Banana Chips
- 2 plantains
- 2 tsp. coconut oil
- 1 tsp. turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- ½ tsp. cayenne or chilli powder
- ½ tsp. pepper powder
- Wash and peel the bananas. Soak in ½ tsp. turmeric and salt water for 10 minutes.
- This helps in preventing them from turning dark.
- Dry the bananas and using a mandolin finely slice the plantains into chips.
- Take 1 tsp. coconut oil. Add ½ tsp. turmeric powder, pepper and salt to it and mix well. Brush on both sides of the chips and mix well so that all chips are covered with the oil-spice mix.
- Preheat Air fryer at 200 C or 390 F for 5 minutes.
- Lay the chips in the Air fryer so that the overlap is minimal. Air fry at 200 C or 390 F for about 8 minutes.
- Shake the basket once in the middle. If needed brush once more with oil (optional). Take out any chips which have turned brown on the sides.
- Fry the remaining for a minute or 2 more only if they are not cooked. Take it out and have it hot. Your delicious and healthy plantain chips are ready to eat.
2. You can also use the same recipe to make plantain fries by cutting the plantain into batons. Cook it for about 15-18 minutes in Air fryer at 200 C or 390 F for crunchy fries.
3. Use any of the spice mixes mentioned above the recipe as per your preference.
4. You can store the chips in an airtight container. Before serving just Air fry for a couple of minutes to make them crispy again.
5. You can use any other vegetable oil in place of coconut oil like olive oil or sunflower oil.
6. Adding the spice mix to the oil and brushing with it helps the spices to adhere better to the chips. You could sprinkle them later as well.
7. Do check out the step-by-step pictures of the recipe below the recipe card for a better understanding.
8. You can deep fry or oven bake the same chips as well.
If you liked the recipe, I request you to leave a star * rating either on the recipe card or in the comments. Thanks.
Jessica Formicola says
I could snack on these chips all day long! So easy to make and so delicious!
I absolutely get you, Jessica. I could snack on them all day long too.
I love plantain chips! I buy them all the time but I definitely need to try making my own! So good..one of my fav snacks!
Try them homemade. They are even better than store bought.
Amy Desrosiers says
Would you believe I have never tried a plantain? I love this step by step instructional post on how to prepare them. I would have never known what to do.
You must try plantains right away. So many things you can do with them and so nutritious too.
I love this spin on plantain chips. The addition of turmeric powder is great!
Thanks Erika. Yes turmeric powder adds an extra something. 🙂
Denay DeGuzman says
This is a fabulous recipe for homemade banana chips! I'm snacking on some now.
Thanks Denay. Glad you liked the recipe. 🙂
Bharati Adhyapak says
Amazing...I will definitely try..I love banana chips from childhood
Usha Mehta says