These zucchini fritters in air fryer or skillet are an easy and tasty way to make zucchini patties that are ready in under 30 minutes. They are delicious. Both air fryer and skillet recipes are shared.
These are very filling and make use of zucchini, a vegetable I love to cook with. You may like: zucchini soup, air fryer healthy roasted zucchini and air fryer zucchini fries.
This is a foolproof recipe because it needs only a few ingredients and is not too fussy with exact measurements. You can play around a bit to suit your taste.
It is also a perfect recipe for summer when you get so much of the vegetable.
What to serve with zucchini fritters
Personally, I just love to have them as is because they are super cheesy and flavourful.
You could have them with a nice fresh dip like a mint mayo or a dollop of sour cream.
If you really want meat with it, you can have them with grilled chicken breast, lemon pepper shrimp or even grilled tomatoes and mushroom (for vegetarian).
Grate the zucchini. Optionally, add salt and keep aside for 5 minutes. It will release water.
Drain all the water in a cheese cloth. Squeeze with your hands to remove as much moisture as you can.
Assemble all the ingredients: Grated and squeezed zucchini, all purpose flour, grated cheese, beaten egg, chopped onion and pepper.
Add all the ingredients together and mix well to form a sticky batter.
If your mixture is very wet, you will need to add extra flour. Hence it is important to squeeze out as much water from zucchini as possible after shredding.
Use a spoon to take out large spoonfuls of mixture on to a plate.
Press lightly with a spoon to slightly flatten and form fritters. You can also put in the freezer for about 10 minutes to make it settle a bit.
Air fryer cooking
Preheat air fryer at 180C or 360F for 5 minutes.
Place a parchment paper to prevent the fritters from sticking to the basket.
Using a spoon, carefully place each zucchini patty onto the parchment paper. Flatten slightly. Watch the video for better understanding.
Air fry at 180C or 360F for about 10-12 minutes till browned on top and cooked inside.
The time will vary slightly depending on how big your fritters are and the model of your air fryer.
No need to flip the patties midway.
Your delicious golden brown air fryer zucchini fritters are ready to serve.
Spread about 1 to 2 tbsp. of olive oil on a skillet and place your zucchini fritters on top.
Make patties by putting 1 tbsp. of mixture on the griddle and then pressing it down to spread it out to make flat patties.
Cook for about 3 minutes on each side till golden brown.
Use more oil if needed.
Your zucchini fritters are ready. Serve them hot. They are a perfect evening snack or party snack.
Here's the recipe card:
Zucchini Fritters Recipe in Air fryer and Skillet
- Grate the zucchini. Add salt and keep aside for 5 minutes. It will release water. Drain all the water in a cheese cloth and squeeze with your hands to remove as much moisture as you can. Keep aside.
- Mix all the ingredients with the zucchini and form a thick sticky batter.
- If the batter is wet, you will need to add more flour.
For Air fryer cooking
- Preheat air fryer at 180C or 360F for 5 minutes.
- Place a parchment paper to prevent the fritters from sticking to the basket.
- Using a spoon, carefully place each zucchini patty onto the parchment paper. Flatten slightly. Watch the video for better understanding.
- Air fry at 180C or 360F for about 10-12 minutes till browned on top and cooked inside.No need to flip the patties midway.
- The time will vary slightly depending on how big your fritters are and the model of your air fryer.
- Your golden brown and delicious zucchini fritters in air fryer are ready to serve.
For Skillet Cooking
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Make patties by putting 1 tbsp. of mixture on the griddle and then pressing it down to spread it out to make flat patties.
- Cook for about 3 minutes on each side till golden brown.
- Your crispy zucchini fritters are ready to serve. Serve hot with a spicy dip or ketchup.
- If you don’t squeeze out most water from your zucchini, then you will end up having too much moisture in the batter and your zucchini fritters will be soggy.
- Don’t add any additional salt because cheese has a fair bit of salt.
- You can use any processed cheese. Cheese make the fritters crispy.
- You can also add ¼ cup corn kernels to this batter for more taste.
- You can add herbs of your choice to the batter as well.
- You can use a mix of all purpose flour (3 tbsp.) and chickpea flour (2 tbsp.) for a variation.
- Watch the step-by-step pictures and video for better understanding.
- I prefer to leave the peel on as it is thin and edible. It also adds a nice green colour to the shredded zucchini.
- No oil is used for air fryer recipe version and the nutritional values given are for the air fryer recipe. The skillet version uses about 2-3 tbsp. olive oil.
- This recipe makes 8 zucchini fritters.
If you liked this zucchini fritters recipe I request you to give a * star rating either on the recipe or when you comment. Thank you.
Sonia Chatterjee says
Is this the same as summer squash? I had no Idea that it could be used to make something so tasty. You ended the series with a delicious recipe. Me and my family are going to miss this daily dose of tasty options. But I will keep coming back to read the latest posts. It's been wonderful knowing you through this challenge. And I wish you all the success in future and forever.
It is not summer squash. Google for zucchini. So glad you liked the recipes, Sonia. Thank you for your constant motivation.
Kalpana solsi says
I prepare zucchini soup. Now I have added this recipe to my diary. Can the paatice be shaped or the batter spread like mini uthapams?
You need to press to make the pattice into a flattened shape. it is not runny like uttapam.
3/4th cup cheese? Woaaaah 😛
I'll definitely be making this without the cheese.
Congrats on successfully completing the challenge, Rachna! I learnt so many new recipes and I cannot wait to try them out.
That looks delicious. (And easy to make, too)
Congrats on getting to the finish line of the challenge.
Jyotirmoy Sarkar says
I dont like zucchini much but i think this preparation will be delicious one to have with coffee or tea.
The Love of Spice says
Oohhh these look and sound delicious. Will be trying them soon!
Thanks Shantala! You will love them.
The perfect recipe for this time of year! I know what I'm doing with all my zucchini!
The air fryer and zucchini are a match made in heaven. Love it!
I absolutely agree! Thanks Jess.
Denay DeGuzman says
I love this easy air fryer recipe! These zucchini fritters were a huge hit with the family. I'll be making them again and again.
Thank you so much Denay. Glad your family liked the recipe.
Claudia Lamascolo says
I love zucchini fritters been making them for years I always like to try new versions and cant wait to make these
Thank you Claudia!
Ana F. says
I have an abundance of zucchinis and ended up making this recipe in the air fryer. The zucchini fritters came out so delicious! My hubby loved them and we agreed they will stay in rotation. Thanks for the recipe!
You are very welcome, Ana. Glad you liked the recipe.