I was inspired to come up with this recipe after having it at a restaurant. Juicy, sweet shrimp with sweet coconut and a spicy coating goes beautifully with a glass of beer or also with spicy Mexican rice that I had prepared with it.
Really perfect for weekend meals. The coconut shrimp recipe is so quick and easy to make that you won't believe it. Just use fresh shrimp though frozen will do just as well. Making it in Air fryer makes it healthier and still incredibly crunchy and moist.
Here is the recipe:
Crispy Coconut Shrimp Recipe
- 1 lb. prawns or 500. gm.
- 1 cup flour seasoned with salt, oregano, basil and fresh pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup bread crumbs and grated coconut shavings half-half seasoned with salt and chilli flakes
- 1 tsp. oil For Air fryer
- Clean and devein the prawns. You can keep the tails on if you so like.
- Pat them dry and keep aside.
- Keep beaten eggs, seasoned flour and bread crumbs with coconut shavings in 3 bowls.
For Air frying
- Preheat the Air fryer at 390 F or 200 C for 5 minutes. Brush the air fryer basket with oil. Now dip the prawns in seasoned flour, then egg and the breadcrumbs with coconut mix.
- Place on the Air fryer basket and cook for 6-8 minutes till golden. You may turn the shrimp half way through. Your Air fryer shrimp is done.
For deep frying
- Heat oil in a kadhai/wok.
- Keep it on medium heat.
- Now dunk the prawn first in flour (brush off any excess flour), then in egg and then dip in bread crumbs and coconut mix. Now keep it aside. This way you do 5-6 prawns at a time.
- Put them in hot oil. Deep fry for 3-4 minutes till golden brown.
- Drain them and serve hot with a tangy sauce or dip of your choice.
Easy isn't it? Do try and let me know how it went.
How to Make Coconut Shrimp Pictures
Bowls arranged with prawns, egg mix, seasoned flour and breadcrumbs with coconut mix.
For Air frying:
Preheat the Air fryer at 390 F or 200 C for 5 minutes. Brush the air fryer basket with oil. Now dip the prawns in seasoned flour, then egg and the breadcrumbs with coconut mix.
Place on the Air fryer basket and cook for 6-8 minutes till golden. You may turn the shrimp half way through. Your Air fryer shrimp is done.
For Deep frying
Now dip the shrimp in seasoned flour, then egg and the breadcrumbs with coconut mix. Heat oil in a pan and deep fry the prawns till golden. It takes about 3-4 minutes. Serve hot.
Serve your coconut shrimp with a tangy dip or chutney. Enjoy. This is the perfect appetizer for a party or for the weekend. It is also keto-friendly and high-protein recipe. If you are a seafood lover, you would love these crispy shrimp with the crunch of coconut.
If you like the recipe, please give it a * star rating. Thanks.
You May Also Like: