Stuffed peppers in air fryer turn out really delicious and crispy while retaining their crunch and taste. One of my favourite vegetable sides.
This air fryer peppers is an easy recipe inspired by the Indian bharwan Shimla Mirch or stuffed capsicum.
Green peppers are cleaned and stuffed with a spicy mashed potato mixture. Then cheese/vegan cheese is grated on top. It is then air fried to perfection.
Due to air frying you get a nice char outside and the pepper does not turn mushy which is delightful.
The filling in this recipe is versatile.
- You can use lentils/cooked red kidney beans with tomato sauce and some boiled rice along with chopped vegetables and spices as a filling.
- You can use crumbled tofu or paneer along with some sauteed onion and mushrooms as a filling. If you eat meat, you can use ground beef or chicken as well.
- Leftover mashed potatoes can be a good filling idea for these peppers.
Prepare the filling by taking mashed potatoes in a bowl.
Add salt, cayenne, garam masala and mix well.
If you wish to you can add pepper as well.
Taste and adjust seasoning.
Take capsicum or green pepper. Remove the external stalk. Cut into halves or remove the crown.
Remove the veins and seeds to have a nice pepper to fill.
Now spoon in the potato mix till the pepper is filled well.
Grate cheese/vegan cheese to cover the top.
Spray or brush with some oil all over the peppers.
Preheat airfryer for 5 minutes at 200 deg C or 390F.
Air fry the peppers for 10-12 minutes till they get a nice char outside and the cheese melts and becomes golden brown.
The peppers stay crunchy. That's the way I like them.
Take it out and serve hot with rotis or parathas or as a vegetable side.
It tastes delicious where the mellow taste of peppers is complimented by the cheesy spicy filling.
Heat some oil in a kadhai or pan for shallow frying.
Put in the stuffed capsicum, cover and cook for 5-6 minutes on each side.
Turn to the sides as well as the potato side down to evenly cook the capsicum. Serve hot.
Your stuffed peppers are ready to serve. Do enjoy them.
- If you overcook your peppers or capsicum, they turn mushy and not very tasty. I prefer them to have a bit of their crunch and retain their flavour.
- If you so like, you can saute the filling in some oil. I like the filling in this way as the potato is already cooked.
- You can add veggies like grated carrots, onions, green peas etc. to your filling as per your choice. Make sure all the veggies are cooked when you add them to the mixture.
- You can remove cheese if you so like.
- My mum would put a crust of roasted gram flour on top of the potato filling to give it a lovely brown colour when fried. Since I use cheese I don’t need that step but you can certainly do that.
- You can use red and yellow peppers in place of green ones or all together for a nice burst of colour.
📖 Recipe Card
Stuffed Peppers in Air fryer
- 3 Peppers or Capsicum
- 3 potatoes medium boiled and mashed
- ½ tsp. garam masala
- ½ tsp. cayenne or red chilli powder optional
- ½ tsp. pepper powder optional
- salt to taste
- 2 tbsp. cheese or vegan cheese
- Oil for sauteeing or spraying
- Add chilli powder, garam masala along with salt to the mashed potato and mix well. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Take green pepper.s Remove the external stalk. Cut into halves or remove the crown and leave them whole.
- Remove the veins and seeds to have a nice pepper to fill.
- Now spoon in the potato mix till the pepper is filled well.
- Grate cheese to cover the top. Spray/brush some oil all over the peppers.
Air fryer Instructions
- Preheat air fryer for 5 minutes at 200 deg C or 390 F. Air fry the pepper for 10-12 minutes till they get a nice char and the cheese melts and becomes golden brown. Take it out and serve hot with rotis or parathas.
- It tastes delicious where the mellow taste of peppers is complimented by the cheesy spicy filling.
On Gas stove
- Heat some oil in a kadhai or skillet for shallow frying.
- Put in the stuffed capsicum, cover and cook for 5-6 minutes on each side.
- Turn to the sides as well as the potato side down to evenly cook the capsicum. Serve hot.
- Your stuffed peppers are ready to serve. Do enjoy them.
Your stuffed bell peppers are ready to serve.
If you liked this recipe, I request you to give it a * rating either on the recipe card or in the comments. Thank you.