Air fryer orange chicken is a tasty main with crunchy chicken coated in a delicious orange sauce. My family relishes it. It is done in under 30 minutes.
The takeout chicken used in orange chicken is coated with cornstarch and deep fried. We replicate the same in the air fryer with minimal difference and cutting out the use of excess oil.
Making orange chicken in air fryer at home is more economical and healthier.
Pair it with boiled rice for a tasty and satisfying meal.
It is also a super easy recipe. So that definitely is a win.
You may also like: Air fryer Chicken Fajitas, chicken meatballs air fryer, air fryer chicken thighs, air fryer chicken cutlets, air fryer chicken tenders, air fryer chicken kabobs, air fryer lemon pepper chicken.
Ingredients used in Orange Chicken
- Chicken: I have used 1 lb. Of boneless chicken breast cubes. You can use thigh or leg meat too.
- Orange juice and zest: This is essential for the signature orange taste. I use no sugar added juice. You can also use orange zest to reinforce the orange flavour.
- Sauces: Rice vinegar gives it a tangy twist. Soy sauce for an umami and salty flavour.
- Brown sugar: This is to add sweetness and balance out the tartness. Use it as per taste.
- Crushed ginger and garlic: These aromatics really enhance the flavour of the sauce.
- Sesame seeds and scallions: These are used for garnishing the chicken.
- Cornstarch to coat the chicken and also to make the slurry to make the sauce.
- Chili paste: For extra heat. Skip if you don’t like it.
Take 1 inch cubes of chicken breast, add 1 beaten egg, salt and pepper to it and mix well.
Add cornflour all over and mix well so that the cornflour coats the chicken well.
Spray with oil. Preheat air fryer at 360F or 180C for 5 minutes.
Place the coated chicken on top of perforated parchment paper in air fryer basket in a single layer.
Air fry at 360F or 180C for about 10-12 minutes till chicken is cooked through.
Use a meat thermometer to check the temperature of chicken which must reach 165F.
Flip chicken midway during cooking for even cooking.
Take out and keep aside. The chicken pieces are crispy outside and very succulent inside.
Meanwhile, assemble all the ingredients of the Orange sauce.
Mix them together and heat in a pan to assimilate.
You can do this while the chicken is air frying.
Once the sauce begins to thicken, add cornstarch slurry and cook some more till the sauce gets nice and thick.
Taste and adjust seasoning.
Toss cooked air fryer chicken pieces in the sauce. The sauce will be thick and should coat the chicken pieces nicely.
Garnish with chopped scallions and sesame seeds and serve hot.
You can have it as it is or serve with boiled rice. You will lick your fingers. It is so delicious.
Enjoy with your family.
Here's the recipe card:
Air fryer Orange Chicken
- 1 lb. Chicken cubes
For the marinade
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp. cornstarch
- ½ tsp. Salt
- ½ tsp. Pepper
For the sauce
- 1 tsp. minced ginger
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- ½ cup orange juice
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar or as per taste
- 1 tsp. Chili paste optional
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 tbsp. rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp. cornstarch dissolved in ½ cup water
- 1 chopped scallion or green onion
- 1 tsp. Sesame seeds
- Take 1 inch cubes of chicken breast, add 1 beaten egg, salt and pepper to it and mix well. Add cornflour all over and mix well so that the cornflour coats the chicken well.
- Spray with oil and add to preheated air fryer at 360F or 180C (preheated for 5 minutes). Air fry at 360F or 180C for about 10-15 minutes till chicken is cooked through.
- Use a meat thermometer to check the temperature of chicken which must reach 165F. Flip chicken midway during cooking for even cooking.
- Take out and keep aside.
- Meanwhile, mix all the ingredients of the Orange sauce and heat up in the pan to assimilate well. You can do this while the chicken is air frying.
- Once the sauce begins to thicken, add cornflour slurry and cook some more till the sauce gets nice and thick.
- Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Toss cooked air fryer chicken pieces in the sauce. Garnish with chopped scallions and sesame seeds and serve hot.
- You can have it as it is or serve with boiled rice. You will lick your fingers. It is so delicious.
- Enjoy with your family.
2. Do the chicken in two batches. Do not overlap while air frying. Do check the temperature of the chicken when air frying with a meat thermometer. It is done when it reaches 165F.
3. Leftovers can be stored for a couple of days in the fridge but they get very soggy if the chicken is already tossed in the sauce. Keep them separately if possible.
4. This recipe can be made vegetarian by using cauliflower florets in place of chicken.
5. You can make the sauce spicier as per your like. Also reduce the brown sugar used if you don’t like your sauce to be very sweet.
If you liked the recipe, I request you to leave a star rating. Thanks.