Amaranth seed is a gluten-free grain that is very high in Calcium and Protein. This tiny grain can be easily used as a salad topping or for making energy balls. I recently made these high protein popped amaranth seed vegan energy balls at home. They are incredibly light and tasty. Perfect for a guilt-free evening snack that is high in nutrients. Seriously win-win!
If you can get popped amaranth seeds then it makes your work even easier. Else, it took me about 20 minutes to pop a large cup of seeds. Rest of the process is super simple.
Here’s my recipe of high protein popped vegan amaranth balls:
High Protein Popped Amaranth Seed Energy Balls
- 1 cup amaranth seeds
- 250 gm. jaggery
- 2 tbsp. water
- 10-12 almonds chopped
- 2 tbsp. raisins
- Pop 1 cup amaranth seeds. It doubles in volume. It is easy to do. Just remember to use a medium hot pan. Only pop about a tbsp. at a time or else some will stay unpopped and others will be burnt. See the video I have shared. Once the amaranth seeds are popped, keep them aside.
- Take jaggery powder or flakes and melt them in a hot pan. Add about 2 tbsp. of water and cook for about 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile chop your almonds. Mix almonds and raisins with popped amaranth.
- Pour jaggery slurry on to the amaranth nuts mix. Mix well using a spatula till you get a sticky mix.
- Now form round balls in the palm of your hand. Do this when the jaggery is still warm. This recipe makes about 12-15 balls.
- Your amaranth seed energy balls are ready to eat. Keep them in airtight containers and consume them within a week.
Here is the video link to see how amaranth is popped:
I hope you liked this recipe of Ramdana Laddu or Rajgira Laddu as it is called in Hindi. Either way, these vegan amaranth balls are truly tasty and worth making.
Do try and let me know how they turned out.
Please share if you like this recipe.