Chicken curry is a sort of a Sunday ritual at my home. This is an easy homemade chicken curry which is quite simple but tastes super delicious.
I make various chicken curries ranging from Chettinad chicken curry to Methi Chicken curry to Thai chicken curry and more.
Just follow a couple of tricks that I share for the huge, hearty flavour.
This apple cider pulled pork is another delicious recipe to try this Fall.
How to Make the Perfect Indian Chicken Curry
Every Indian home has its own chicken curry recipe and you will find modifications to this basic recipe every where.
This chicken curry is the basic North Indian chicken curry that is delicious because it is so simple yet flavourful.
Here are the tips to making the best chicken curry:
- Choose hearty and in-bone chicken pieces. A chicken curry must have good quality chicken that is tender and juicy. Having them in bone lends more flavour.
- Slow cooking: I can't stress this enough. The chicken curry base must be slow cooked to bring out all the flavours well. You can't rush this step. You can, however, make this curry base in advance to make a quick chicken curry.
- Spices: Making your spice mixes fresh adds to the flavours but ready spice mixes really make the job easy. Choose a good Indian brand.
Here is the easy North Indian chicken curry recipe:
📖 Recipe Card
How to Make Indian chicken curry
- 1.5 lb. chicken or 750 gm.
- 1 tsp. turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. salt
- Marinate the chicken in turmeric, salt and lemon juice for about 30 minutes.
- Heat 1 tbsp. oil in a pan and sear the chicken till brownish on the outside. This takes about 10 minutes.
- Now heat the remaining oil in a pan/kadhai. Add cumin seeds and allow to sputter.
- Now add sliced onions, ginger and garlic pastes and bhuano (saute) on low flame till golden brown and the ginger-garlic loses its raw smell. This is a slow process that must be done on low heat to bring out maximum flavour.
- It took me about 15-20 minutes. If the masala gets too dry or sticks to the bottom, add 1-2 tbsp. of water.
- Add chopped tomatoes with pepper and cook everything till tomatoes are mushy. Takes about 5-7 minutes. Cool it and blend to make a thick paste.
- Add the masala paste with chicken pieces back to your pan. Add some water to make the curry runny.
- Add garam masala, chicken masala, cayenne (optional). Cook for 15 minutes on low flame or till the chicken is cooked and tender. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Your chicken curry is ready. Serve with hot rotis or rice.
- Don't overcook the chicken or it becomes stringy.
- The basis of a good chicken curry is a good curry base. Your onions, ginger garlic and tomatoes must be slow cooked for a delicious curry.
- Adjust the spices as per your taste. This is a spicy curry.
Do let me know if you try the recipe. I request you to leave a star rating * for the recipe.
This homemade chicken curry is scrumptious and will become a part of your regular cooking. Do try it. Also pin it if you enjoy it.
Do also try this chicken biryani.