Chicken Pulao is a comforting one-pot dish that is surprising easy to make and is really satisfying to eat. Serve it with veg raita and boiled eggs and have a truly tasty meal.
If you love chicken biryani, you will enjoy chicken pulao. It is definitely a poor man's version of chicken biryani but that does not mean that it is less flavourful.
It just is way easier to cook. Surprise your family with it for a weeknight dinner. Here's my recipe of chicken pulao:
Easy Chicken Pulao Recipe
- 1 lb. chicken pieces with bone or 500 gm.
- 2 cups basmati rice washed and soaked for half an hour in water
- 2 onions sliced thin
- 2 tbsp. ghee or clarified butter
- 4 cloves
- 10 peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cinnamon
- 2 mace
- 2 green cardamom
Marinade for chicken
- 2 tbsp. ginger garlic paste
- 1 tbsp. paprika for colour
- 1 tbsp. cayenne or chilli powder optional
- 1 tbsp. tandoori chicken powder or garam masala
- 3 tbsp. Greek yogurt or thick Indian curd
- 1 tbsp. mint chopped
- 1 tbsp. cilantro leaves chopped
- 2 tsp. ghee or oil
- 1 tbsp dry fenugreek or kasuri methi optional
- salt to taste
- Mix together all the marinade ingredients and make a paste. Marinate chicken pieces in it for an hour.
- Heat ghee in a kadhai/thick bottom pan. Put in all the whole spices and cook for a minute. .
- Add the sliced onions and fry them till they are dark golden in colour
- Add the marinated chicken and fry for about 4-5 minutes stirring continuously.
- Add the soaked and drained basmati rice and gently mix.
- Add water to cover chicken and rice. Add more salt for the rice.
- Now cover and cook for about 30 minutes till the chicken and rice are well cooked.
- Garnish with some chopped cilantro and mint and serve hot.
- Your delicious chicken pulao is ready to eat.
If you liked this recipe, I request you to leave a star * rating for it. Thanks.